Search

Emirates and Jetstar

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates and Jetstar

I am slightly confused about baggage transfer between these airlines. I am travelling on one economy class ticket, part of which includes an Emirates flight from Dubai to Sydney then on to Townsville with Jetstar. I understand that I will have to clear Immigration, Customs and Quarantine at Sydney and that a change of terminal is involved to get the Jetstar flight. Will I have to take my bags myself to the domestic terminal or is there a transfer desk after clearing customs etc? Also will my seat allocation for Jetstar be done when I check in at Dubai?
I have checked the websites but can't find the above information although I do know that my Emirates baggage allowance(30kg) can be used on the Jetstar flight.
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 12:14 PM

Having done these kinds of transfers myself in Sydney I should think the following happens: You do immigration and customs in the arrival halls of the international terminal, then you do one of two things:

A) Either there is a check-in position right there where you can drop your luggage for transfer to your Townsville flight - or
B) you take it with you on your trip to the domestic terminal a couple of miles down the road.

I can't remember ever seeing A) but never say never, if they instituted something new, as you walk out of the customs hall you can always ask and you may get an answer other than "take it to the domestic terminal". But more likely you'll do B), and I trust you have arranged for plenty of time between flights, because this is not a quick procedure!

NOTE: Make sure you have nothing edible in your bags unless it is canned and of a type that's allowed - scrutinize the government website! Even a handful of almonds, or an apple can get you in serious trouble.
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM

The problem with bringing foodstuffs into Australia can be as much to do with not declaring them. Shortly before landing you will be given a form to complete and on that you need to declare any food you are bringing into the country, doesn't matter if it's in carry-on or checked luggage. As long as you are truthful you'll be ok. Some foods may be confiscated but at least you won't be fined several hundred dollars.

Can't help with your questions sorry. I hope you love Australia though.
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I just used our friend Google and found this:

At Sydney, Jetstar operates from Terminal 2 (T2) at Sydney Domestic Airport. Flights from Sydney to Melbourne operate to Avalon Airport. For international flights, Jetstar operates from the international terminal (T1).

Transferring from international flights to Jetstar flights

When transferring from international flights to Jetstar flights, you will always need to first collect your baggage and clear customs, then proceed with your baggage to Jetstar Check-in located in the domestic terminal.

Collect your baggage and clear customs.
Make your way from International terminal (Terminal 1) to Terminal 2 by AirportLink train or taxi. Cost: Train $4pp, taxi $8-$12.
Jetstar check-in is at departures level at Terminal 2.

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/plannin...ocation=Sydney

Hopefully that helps.

I couldn't easily find the answer about seat allocation but you could think about ringing them. I flew with Jetstar recently and was not impressed at all but did have to call them twice before the flight and was surprised at how easily I got through and then that they were quite helpful. I was expecting the opposite. Maybe it helps sometimes to have low expectations

Kay
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and useful information. I'm surprised you have to pay to transfer to another terminal at the same airport. We arrive in Sydney at 0700 and our flight to Townsville leaves at 1035. It's a Sunday morning so I'm assuming I should have enough time for the transfer. The only reason I'm using Jetstar is because it's a direct flight - I would have had to change at Brisbane on a Qantas flight that morning and, after about 12 hours flying from Dubai, that didn't seem like a good idea.
I know all about the foodstuffs issue as we get "Nothing to declare" on TV in the UK!
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 04:40 PM

This spells out all options for transfer in Sydney: http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/t...-transfer.aspx Years ago there was talk of building a new airport way out west, and it didn't fly (pardon the pun), so the only way to make the extension happen in the old place was to place the terminals where they are now - a long way from each other.

You should have plenty of time to make the transfer.

Brace yourself for a culture shock, switching from one of the swankiest airlines - Emirates, to no-frills JetStar which is Qantas' budget-airline offshoot. Nothing wrong with it - for a self-declared budget airline with decent fares it works quite well, but for you it will be like going from Rolls Royce to Beetle or from caviar to chewing gum...

"Nothing to declare" on TV in the UK!"

Haven't seen that being shown in the US, just looked it up since you got me curious. Is it fun to watch?
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My husband and I think it's appalling passengers have to pay to transfer from one terminal to another at Sydney. What a great first impression that must make to overseas visitors! Can you imagine flying in to Australia on a long flight, being jetlagged, etc and having to find the right money to transfer for your next flight? Madness.

Kay
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 02:15 AM

I agree you shouldn't have to pay - but I will point out that even though it's nominally the same airport, the trip by car between international and domestic would be a good 10 - 15 mins and they are entirely different precincts. It's not exactly close, and you certainly couldn't walk it. Ideally a monorail or similar shuttle between airports would be on my wish list but I guess that's what Airport Link was designed to do, and the reason you pay with the train is because that line was in the past built and run by a private company, with fairly expensive fares to try to recoup the cost. I think it's all part of CityRail now, but I can't remember. I think they kept a similar fare structure, anyway.

What was worse was having to pay a $2 coin for the luggage carts at arrivals - which has since been scrapped. If you aren't from Australia, chances are you probably don't have spare change in A$. Definitely sending the wrong message!

Lavandula
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 06:57 PM

It's annoying, but no more so than having to change train stations in European cities, where one of the worst for that is Paris, or even airports (ORY and CDG, LGW and LHR, MXP and LIN etc.) - it's just one of those things.

If, when you're back home, it will the worst thing you'll have to complain about on a trip of this length and distance, then you'll have had a good trip!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM

Please remember that you may have to wait some minutes for a train between the two terminals. They are are about every 15 minutes. The whole procedure is annoying but that is the way it is done. Collect your bags, clear immigration, get money and go to the other terminal.

By the way, I had to schelp my bags from one terminal to another in Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris last summer to get from an international flight to a domestic one. That was also a pain in the butt (but no paying of a fare).

Travel anywhere is a pain in the butt, but that is the way it is and, when you get there, you will decide it was worth it.