Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Transit Time at SYD (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/transit-time-at-syd-1035482/)

Dukey1 Jan 24th, 2015 01:20 PM

Transit Time at SYD

Just trying to get some extra info so I can plan upcoming trip.

Will arrive in the AM from Los Angeles on United; planning on booking a non-stop domestic flight to Perth on Qantas for later that day. I assume I should give ourselves three hours (enough or not in your experienced opinion?) or so between arrival and departure (assuming no major arrival delay and I know that can be a big assumption). Have no idea how long Immigration procedures will take and if any other international arrivals will be happening simultaneously; yes we will very definitely have checked luggage to claim

Also assume there is easy transport between terminals since the airport doesn't look all that large or complicated.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Melnq8 Jan 24th, 2015 01:31 PM

I've only done this in the opposite direction, Perth-SYD-CHC on Virgin Australia and Air NZ, so won't be much help.

The terminal shuffle was easy. VA had given me a voucher for the transfer bus. I was surprised at the distance between terminals and I found the international terminal poorly signed and confusing. I had a two hour layover and needed almost every bit of it.

How long will you be here in Perth?

Dukey1 Jan 24th, 2015 02:19 PM

Thanks for that information. You needed a VOUCHER for the terminal shuttle as in it costs money? Wow!

We will only be in Perth for two nights. We are purposely traveling west in order to turn around two days later to take the Indian-Pacific back to Sydney.

CounterClifton Jan 24th, 2015 03:12 PM

We usually try to go straight from LAX to MEL. But we've done a SYD connection a couple of times for various reasons.

Yes, the terminals at SYD are on opposite sides of the airport, with the runways in between. Several options (train, bus, taxi), all cost something, none terribly hard to do nor cause a lot of delay. 10-15 minutes added, tops. I'm sure I've spent considerably more time stomping along through a connection at Heathrow than riding from one terminal to another at SYD.

Up to date info with times and costs here: http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/t...-transfer.aspx

Coming to Melbourne while you're this far?

btw, when leaving Oz, allow a little extra time for the airport. You go through Immigration on *exiting* Australia much as you do when you enter, so you have one more queue besides the usual.

Dukey1 Jan 24th, 2015 03:27 PM

Thanks for all this VERY helpful info. As it turns out I have found a connection from the US on Air New Zealand which connects in Auckland for a flight onward to Perth.

Because we are including a cruise in this trip we will be ending up and flying out of Auckland so SYD will not be in the mix at all. We will, however, be spending 6 nights in Sydney and yes we will also be in Melbourne.

Bokhara2 Jan 24th, 2015 03:32 PM

Hi Dukey

Date & time of your arrival will be a factor in your transfer time.

Generally speaking, most flights seem to arrive early in the morning / and of course, if it's a week day, peak hour traffic will slow down the road trip between Terminal 1 & the domestics.

Melnq8 Jan 24th, 2015 03:52 PM

<<You needed a VOUCHER for the terminal shuttle as in it costs money? Wow!>>

Yeah, welcome to Australia.

<<As it turns out I have found a connection from the US on Air New Zealand which connects in Auckland for a flight onward to Perth.>>

Even better. Air NZ is a great airline and they're now flying the Dreamliner between Auckland and Perth. I flew it for the first time in Sept and it was wonderful, especially since I upgraded to Premium Economy. I'll be flying it again next month, and I'm actually looking forward to the flight, also in Premium Economy.

Suggest you look into a One Up upgrade - check out Air NZ's website for more details.

There's only one flight a day from AKL-PER, so make sure you have plenty of time to make your connection.

Connections in Auckland are easy - about a 10 minute walk between terminals or a bus ride - I always walk as the fresh air after a long flight does me good.

AKL airport is a piece of cake. Not very busy and very easy to navigate.

CounterClifton Jan 24th, 2015 03:55 PM

<i>Air NZ is a great airline</i>

I agree. Take that over United, if there is any human way possible. Not because of the connection (though Auckland is super easy) but because of the difference in airlines!

Dukey1 Jan 25th, 2015 10:43 AM

Thanks all. We will be arriving on Air New Zealand from Los Angeles; will be flying in "premium" business because we want flat bed seats so that part's a no-brainer.

We will have 6 hours between touch down from Los Angeles and the departure for Perth so should be plenty of time. Will spend two nights in Perth before boarding the Indian-Pacific.

CounterClifton Jan 25th, 2015 01:23 PM

Oh yeah, plenty of time. Auckland is the smallest and most peaceful airport I've ever been in.

Give a shout when you get to the point of looking for things to do around Melbourne here.

CounterClifton Jan 25th, 2015 01:25 PM

Well, "<i>smallest and most peaceful </i><u>international</u><i> airport</i>" anyway.

CounterClifton Jan 25th, 2015 01:31 PM

By the way (and then I'll quit)... if you haven't already, I highly recommend picking up Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country". An enjoyable, easy read and great observations, as he does, about the habits and history of various bits of Australia. Including your planned train ride (he went the other way).

Melnq8 Jan 25th, 2015 02:26 PM

Old Bill gives short shrift to WA though Clifton. Couldn't believe how little he had to say about a state that covers 1/3 of the continent, other than to coin Perth as the world's most remote city.

Dukey1 Jan 25th, 2015 02:26 PM

Thanks, CC, I like Bryson's work a lot.

CounterClifton Jan 25th, 2015 06:51 PM

I thought so too, Mel. His trudge through the burbs covered most of his time out there, it seemed. I think he was a little pressed for time in WA or something. Still, he's not prone to coverage of "what to see and do" as much as he is to using anecdotes to illustrate the experience. I really couldn't tell if he <i>liked</i> Perth, at that... and wondered if that had something to do with how much he wrote. He gives plenty of time to places he really likes... or really doesn't....