Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Townsville (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/townsville-369525/)

Chris7 Oct 17th, 2003 03:06 PM

Townsville

Hi all,

Does anyone live (or lived) in Townsville? I'm in the southern states of Australia, and have always hated the climate, but loved the lifestyle (everything easy to get to, don't have to use public transport, jobs etc). I've been told the climate in Townville is just unbearable (in summer cause of the humidity) - is this true? What's the lifestyle like? (ie things to do? job prospects?) I would move with my family (2 young children). Alot of people suggest Brisbane, but I'm a bit wary of the lifestyle there?

Thanks

Janese Oct 19th, 2003 01:08 AM

No one can answer those questions for you - you will have to go and see for yourself because each person has their own ideas on the subject of climate and cities.
As for Brisbane - well you do have a pre-conceived idea anyway about it.

Chris7 Oct 19th, 2003 01:28 AM

Janese,
I was asking about other people's experiences in these states - I was not expecting someone to be able to tell me whether I could live there or not! I realise its a personal choice on whethre you like it or not, but then why do people ask/post queries on here about visiting different cities when they've never been before? Same thing, noone can answer their queries but posters give them advice from their own experiences. Its all opinions, but sometimes local knowledge can assist the person posting. A pre-conceived idea of Brisbane? What the.....? If you can't assist in questions that people post, then don't reply.

Regards

pat_woolford Oct 19th, 2003 04:19 PM

Hi Chris - I live in Cairns about 4.5hrs drive north of Townsville and have visited Townsville many times. It is hot in summer - sometimes hotter than Cairns. Much lower rainfall than Cairns area, so it's sometimes known as "Brownsville". It's a pleasant city with good hospitals and infrastructure - as you probably know it employs a lot of govt and military personnel. Magnetic Island which is only about a half hour ferry ride from the city is lovely, glorious beaches, hardly any traffic, not badly affected by tourism, and I'd imagine an ideal place to bring up kids.

Janese Oct 19th, 2003 06:50 PM

Yes if you are from the south I am sure you would find the weather too hot and unbearable in summer anywhere in Queensland.

Chris7 Oct 19th, 2003 07:24 PM

Hi Pat

Thanks for that. Sounds like where I'm currently living now (as in not much rain and Brownsville! hehe) but of course not the humidity. Do you mean hotter as humidity? (ie down here we can get up to 38 degrees in summer, but it is a dry heat). We went to Dunk Island (and I know, it was just a holiday) but it was in January, so got a feel for the humidity (it was great, only rained one evening!). Thanking you again.

pat_woolford Oct 19th, 2003 11:05 PM

Hi Chris - well today's max. in Townsville is 30C and really only gets a few degrees above that in summer unless there's a major heat wave. As it is considered the "dry" tropics it isn't as humid as say Cairns - which can go up to about 90% in the wet season - exactly what you would have experienced on Dunk in January. Of course, both cities are subject to cyclones - but you learn to prepare for that - the last to hit us was in April, 2001. A lot of course depends on the type of house you choose - try to get something which can catch the breeze - some of the newer places which are built like boxes are like ovens in summer. We have an original restored "Queenslander" - lots of breezeways, louvres, shutters, high ceilings etc and you will probably need a swimming pool. We have a/c but because of the design of the house we rarely use it - well-positioned ceiling fans are enough for us for sleeping. Except for a bit of discomfort in high summer (just don't go hiking about in the middle of the day) we don't find it too hot - we're originally from Sydney's northern beaches and one of the reasons we moved here was to escape Sydney winters (and the traffic). People up here are friendlier, too. Hope this helps and good luck!

Chris7 Oct 20th, 2003 04:49 PM

Hi Pat,
The Queenslander is a favourite of my hubby's. Thanks for the advice, invaluable and good to know! Sounds like you love it in Cairns, and it was a big move (far from Sydney) so I'm pleased that its worked out for you both. I too want to escape the winters (in Canberra ...brrrr) but the lifestyle in Canberra is hard to beat (I only survived living in Sydney for about 18 months and had to get out). Thanks again - we're going to go up to Townsville (without the kids) for a long weekend and do some serious looking around at least to get a better picture.

Kind Regards

pat_woolford Oct 20th, 2003 10:39 PM

Hi Chris - good luck - remember if you move to Townsville you'll save heaps on not having to buy winter clothes! Can't speak for Townsville but nearly everyone I know in Cairns is from southern states and lots from far colder climes - Northern Europe and America, Canada, NZ and they've no intention of leaving.