Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Touring in Wellington with Dotty and Ted (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/touring-in-wellington-with-dotty-and-ted-508309/)

kodi Mar 1st, 2005 12:28 PM

Touring in Wellington with Dotty and Ted

On a recent , wonderful , trip to New Zealand we spent a truly wonderful couple of days with Dot and Ted.
Dotty had been a big help on this forum and it was really great to meet up with her and her husband Ted.
Ted drives a taxi, and so, knows Wellington very well. They took us on an unbelievable tour of the city. Up and down all the steep hills of the city, up to the wonderful lookouts, and to many of the movie set areas.
They are great ambassadors for their city and we told Ted he should be in the business of doing tours. So if anyone wants a great first hand look at Wellington, do think about hiring Ted as your guide. YOu'll spend a great day, doing and seeing things you normally woulnd't find on your own.

A big thanks to Dotty and Ted.

HMEd Mar 1st, 2005 04:40 PM

How would one go about contacting Ted and Dotty?

kodi Mar 1st, 2005 04:59 PM

Somewhere I have Ted's business card. I'll do my best to find it. I'm still not back to full brain since I got home. Give me a day to find it!
In the mean time, hopefully, Dotty will see this post.

LoveItaly Mar 1st, 2005 10:28 PM

Interesting thread.

My father was born in Wellington NZ, I have always wanted to visit Wellington.

Kodi, I hope you find the info on Ted and Dotty or Dotty answers.

I sure know how jetlag can make one feel brain dead.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

kodi Mar 2nd, 2005 03:48 PM

I still don't remember where I put those business cards from my trip, but I have a call in to my travel buddy, so keep checking here and I'll have an answer in a day or so.

Loveitlay, you have a really good reason to plan a trip to NZ!!

kodi Mar 2nd, 2005 05:19 PM

Ok, HMEd, this is the best I can do, so I hope Dotty sees this post.
You can call Corporate Cabs at 0800 101 103 in Wellington and tell them you want to get in touch with Ted. That's the company he drives for.
it's well worth a tour with him!

dotty Mar 3rd, 2005 12:09 AM

Hi, Kodi,
Thank you for your kind words. We truly enjoyed YOUR company too. Will be emailing you over the weekend.
We really enjoyed showing our city off to people who were genuinely interested in looking around. Ted is the knowledgeable one!
HMEd, when are you coming to NZ, and Wellington in particular?
LoveItaly, you should try to come out. We would be pleased to show you around. Where was your Dad born?
Dot

LoveItaly Mar 3rd, 2005 08:05 AM

Hello Dotty, my father was born in Wellington NZ (a long time ago). My grandparents lived in ChristChurch. My grandfather was a retired seacaption.

Unfortuantly he moved the family to Australia when my father was just a little over two years old.

When I say unfortuantly I do not mean that the way it sounds! He loved Australia. It is just that he barely remembered NZ.

My father was brought to the US right before he turned 18 as he had duel citizenship (NZ and US) and if my grandfather (the original Mr. Gypsy feet) had not brought him to the US before he turned 18 evidently he would have lost his US citizenship.

Dottie, my father should have been left in Australia. He was always so homesick.

My late DH spent a lot of time in NZ too, and loved NZ and your people so much.

And I just recently had a young family member go with a company he just started working for that are making Adventure Tour videos with hopes of selling them to TV stations. He was basically videotaping in your south island. He too loved NZ. He can't stop talking about his visit.

Actually I have always wanted to go to NZ. Your post has me thinking, yes I want to go there! I am going to keep the information about how to contact your Ted unless their is a better way to contact you.

Take good care, and thanks for your post.