top 10 holiday parks

Jun 18th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

top 10 holiday parks

My husband and I are planning a 4 week trip to the North and South islands in March 2006. On a budget, so considering staying in the units with kitchens in the holiday parks.Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has stayed in these parks, as well as recommendations for particularly good ones. Have also gone on the website for holiday house rentals and some of these seem quite reasonable..again would appreciate any info anyone could give me. It is quite a daunting task to figure out this trip but am getting lots of ideas from reading the forum. Thanks for your help.
Jun 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I can't help with holiday parks, but I have stayed in some very nice cottages/houses:

The Old Schoolhouse, Dee Road, Kina Beach RD1, Upper Moutere, Nelson
http://www.cottagestays.co.nz/oldsch...se/cottage.htm

Ashlea Downs cottage
Glenview Road, Motupipi
Road 1, Takaka, Golden bay
http://www.ashleadowns.co.nz/

Almyra Villa - Mapua
www.almyra.co.nz/
Jun 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I can't help with holiday parks, but I have stayed in some very nice cottages/houses:

The Old Schoolhouse, Dee Road, Kina Beach RD1, Upper Moutere, Nelson
http://www.cottagestays.co.nz/oldsch...se/cottage.htm

Ashlea Downs cottage
Glenview Road, Motupipi
Road 1, Takaka, Golden bay
http://www.ashleadowns.co.nz/

Almyra Villa - Mapua
www.almyra.co.nz/
Jun 18th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Oops...

Sorry about the double post. I'm a bit spastic this morning.
Jun 18th, 2005, 11:10 PM
ALF

We have stayed in many holiday parks across NZ. Pretty much every town of any size has one - Top 10 Holiday Parks is a chain of franchised parks. They are generally good and dependable, in terms of cleanliness and facilities, but we found many independent parks that were better.

Holiday parks are extremely variable in terms of quality and facilities. They all have camping and campervan spots, communal dining facilities, and an ablution block (showers & bathrooms). Most have 'tourist flats', which range from pre-fab trailers to very nice cabins. Some tourist flats are equipped with kitchens and bathrooms, but others are merely bedrooms, and you will have to use the communal dining and ablution facilities. Actually, we very much enjoyed the communal kitchens and dining rooms, as we met many fellow travelers for swapping stories, advice, books, etc.

If you are on a tight budget, this is a good way to go. Sometimes you will be disappointed in what a particular park offers, but generally I think that you will consider that you have obtained good value. During March, you should have little trouble getting accommodations, as it will be a rare park that is filled during the off-season. Once you are armed with a couple of guidebooks that detail locations of holiday parks, you can stop wherever you wish, and maintain a great deal of spontaneity.

Here is the best list I know of for holiday parks:
www.holidayparks.co.nz

You presumably already know about Top 10:
www.topparks.co.nz

Another chain is Kiwi Holiday Parks:
www.kiwiholidayparks.co.nz

Lastly, NZ's Dept of Conservation (DOC) runs campsites, some of which have cabins:
www.doc.govt.nz

Some of our favorites:

DOC cabins in North Island campgrounds at the Kauri Forest, and Whakapapa Motor Camp

Opoutere Beach (Coromandel)
McKee Memorial Reserve (near Nelson)
Glow Worm Forest Camp (near Fox Glacier)
Pleasant Lodge Holiday Park (Wanaka)
Lorneville Lodge Holiday Park (Invercargill)

If you are on a really tight budget, then you could camp in a tent at the same Holiday Parks. If you have a tent along, you can make a decision each night if you want to tent it, or get a flat.
Jun 19th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Alf,

We are going to the South Island for three weeks in September and travelling in a campervan.

I am VERY interested in your opinions of the holiday parks and why you liked the ones you have mentioned.

Any hints and tips? Thanks heaps.

Jenny
Jun 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM
ALF

Jenny,

We spent a few months months in NZ, and more than half of that was on the South Island. We bought a campervan and stayed mostly in holiday parks, with the occasional B&B, or just parked along the road. The particular holiday parks I mentioned above have nice tourist flats and are in attractive locations, which sounded along the line of sueger's interests. If you are in a campervan, then you have no need of flats or cabins; you can just get a site, plug in, and, Bob's your Uncle.

Some holiday parks are merely a bunch of campervan sites in a field, sort of like U.S. KOA campgrounds, if you are familiar with those. Others are in nicely-forested areas or with good views.

In a campervan, you should definitely keep track of the DOC campgrounds on the South Island, many of which are wonderful, but few have the hookups so many campervan'ers crave.

Other nice S. Island camping locations:

DOC campgound at Punakaiki (near Paparoa Ntnl Pakr) - rent a kayak and shoot the little rapids on the adjacent Porarari River

The parking area behind the, 'Public Shelter' at Arthurs Pass. Well, this isn't really nice, but there are no other alternatives at the Pass, and few folks know about this one.

Cragieburn Picnic Area (near Cragieburn Skifield) - another good place for a campervan overnight, where there are few other options.

Forest Camp, behind Punga Grove Motel, at Franz Josef Glacier. A small campground, run by the hotel.

Lake Ruataniwha Holiday Park, near Twizel, on the approach to Mt. Cook Natnl Park

Al F.
Jun 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM

You might also want to look into hostels. Most have double rooms available, many with ensuite bathrooms. A smaller hostel will feel cozy and welcoming, and it's a great chance to meet other travelers. Take a look at www.bbh.co.nz for listings.

We stayed at Lloyds Lodge in Whakatane and The Missing Leg in Egmont Village; we were really pleased with Lloyds Lodge in particular. The Missing Leg was nice, and the owners are friendly and helpful, but the atmosphere is a little funkier, and the bed had a trough down the middle. Good thing I like my husband!

Lee Ann