Search

Tipping In NZ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping In NZ

I understand tipping isn't particularly accepted in Australia but what about NZ? Advice please
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:01 AM
ALF

The same is true for New Zealand. What a civilized country!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:49 PM

It is up to the individual whether to tip or not. We always leave a tip at dinner if the service has been attentive, friendly and especially if the staff have added to the enjoyment of the evening with a sense of humour and given us some extra laughs. We have wonderful restaurants and the staff are from many different nationalities now. Even $2 is appreciated and often there is a jar on the counter for loose change which is shared by all the staff.
I also tip the housemaid/s if I'm staying for any length of time in one estalishment.
Other than that you might like to tip any especially good tour guide.
There are no hard and fast rules.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:19 PM

Here in New Zealand staff in restaurants, hotels etc are paid a weekly wage and do not rely on tips for their income.

They do not expect a tip nor do they depend on tips to survive.

Please don't feel obliged to tip at all while here, taxi drivers might appreciate a simple "keep the change" if its only a dollar or so but thats about it.

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We're currently 18 days into a 28 day visit on the South Island of NZ. We've not yet had the opportunity to tip for meals, as you usually order and pay at the counter, and when you pay with a credit card, there isn't even an area on the credit slip to add a tip.

When we told a bartender to keep the change, we got an odd look, so we haven't done it since.

Just the other day I left a tip for the maid in our hotel along with a request for an extra bath towel. When I returned to the hotel, the extra towel was there, but so was the tip - she refused to take it.

Gotta love this place....