Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Time in Melbourne - help please (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/time-in-melbourne-help-please-76939/)

susie Jun 22nd, 2000 03:26 AM

Time in Melbourne - help please

We have 5 or 6 days to spend in Melbourne at the beginning of August. Cannot decide whether to make the stay longer or shorter. There have been many posts about time in Sydney but not Melbourne. I don't know if weather will be conducive to taking a day trip along part of the Great Ocean Road. <BR>How accessible is the airport to Templestowe area and also to conference center area downtown? What mode of transport do you suggest for 4 people on the airport trip? <BR>Thanks in advance. Susie

andrew Jun 25th, 2000 09:39 PM

Melbourne is pretty cool, I spent about six weeks there in April. It was already starting to get cold at that time of the year. There was heaps of places to be seen in the city if youre into that kind of thing. I just mainly hung out around Fitzroy on Brunswick street, it was a good place to check out the live music. The rest of the place is just like any other city really only that I think Melbourne is the prettiest so far. <BR>Bye all the best in Melbourne if you do something really intersting give me a buzz...

peg Jun 26th, 2000 12:26 AM

susie, Templestowe is a north western suburb, very pretty, but about a 45 minute drive from the city centre. The weather is cold so dress in layers. <BR>http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/

leum Jun 27th, 2000 08:25 AM

Templestowe is about 25km from the city centre; probably about 20 mins drive out of peak hour, as there is a freeway going almost straight to it. I live just near there. The airport is on the other side of the city, about 30km out......time to hire a car, I think. <BR>The Great Ocean Road is wonderful in winter. You won't be going for a swim, but the scenery looks....wilder. Definately a worthwhile day trip.

susie Jun 27th, 2000 05:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. How far do you think we can/should go on the Great Ocean Rd if we do a day trip? Is it worth seeing the penguins on Phillip Island or is it realy touristy? Will probably take a taxi from the airport to Templestowe unless anyone can suggest another method for 4 people.

marg Jun 27th, 2000 09:34 PM

You can do the Great Ocean Road in one day if you get going early in the day but remember it will be dark by about 6pm at that time of the year. If you do it as a two-day trip, this would give you time to go as far as the Twelve Apostles, spectacular ocean scenery further west. The penguins are a bit touristy but unique and if you don't have penguins in your country, worth the effort. If you do an organised coach trip from the city, they usually leave late in the afternoon and get back late evening - might be better than you driving on strange roads late in the day. <BR>When you are sightseeing in the city, don't forget our City Circle free tram - brown trams - you can just get on and off as you need.

Jenny Jun 28th, 2000 06:13 AM

You will really find plenty to do for 5 or 6 days in Melbourne! The free tram is excellent, and I would definitely advise doing the Great Ocean Road - even if it is really wild! When I went, it poured with rain the whole time, but was so spectacular, with the waves crashing into the shore! Do take a couple of days though, so you are not doing the "on the bus, off the bus" with all the other tourists.... <BR>

Cris Jun 28th, 2000 08:21 AM

Hi- We were in Melbourne last January <BR>for 4 days and it was not enough. The <BR>Great Ocean Road is certainly well <BR>worth the trip. It is absolutely <BR>breathtaking. Also try to go see the <BR>fairy penguins (I know it sounds stupid) <BR>but it was really really great. <BR> <BR>Our total trip was 18 days seeing Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns (Great Barrier Reef), Adelaide and Alice Springs. <BR>I'm here to tell you it was the best <BR>time I've ever had on a trip. The <BR>people in AUstralia are very very <BR>friendly,helpful and love Americans. <BR> <BR>Have an absolutely lovely trip.

Annette Jul 2nd, 2000 01:29 PM

Cris - we have a few less days than you do in Australia - we all have different ideas of vacation, but if you had to choose between Adelaide or Alice Springs, which would you say? We'll be there in December. If we do Adelaide instead, we might also forego the Barrier Reef this trip -

margh Jul 3rd, 2000 06:20 PM

To Annette, <BR>Alice Springs and Ayers Rock will be really hot in December. December is the start of the wet season up north and Cairns and surrounding areas will be very humid. The weather in Adelaide will be more pleasant at that time of the year.

Chris Jul 21st, 2000 04:21 AM

GREAT OCEAN ROAD IS WELL WORTH IT,TRY LOOKING FOR AUSTRALIAN PACIFIC TOURS AND BUY TOUR VOUCHER BEFORE YOU GO WELL WORTH IT

Mike Jul 22nd, 2000 06:37 PM

I spent about 4 days in Melbourne in May and definitely could have used a few more days, so 5-6 should be fine. One day I went to see the penguins. Took the bus tour. That was very interesting. Anybody know how they managed to put a band on all those penguins? They're must have been thousands on the beach. Took another day tour on the Great Ocean Road all the way to London Bridge and 12 Apostles. Very, very scenic and well worth it. Also Victoria Market on certain days of the week. Got a fantastic Melbourne sweatshirt for only $25 AU, and they had plenty of food places. There are many botanical gardens to wander through, tons of restaurants, and more shops than I've ever seen. You can take tour on the River, take the trams. I even spent a few hours at the State Library of Victoria.