Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Things to do in Sydney and Perth (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/things-to-do-in-sydney-and-perth-328541/)

Lindsay_Jane Jun 18th, 2003 04:24 AM

Things to do in Sydney and Perth

We're spending 3 weeks in Australia for our honeymoon soon - going to Sydney, GBR, Ayers Rock and Perth. We've already organised our tours in GBR and Ayers Rock but would like some ideas as to what to do in Sydney and Perth. We're definitely going to do the Harbour bridge climb in Sydney but not sure what else yet. Maybe the zoo? In Perth is Rottnest island worth a visit? We have about 5 days in both places and want to cram lots in! Also any good places to eat?
Thanks for any help you can give us - we fly out in 12 days - I'm very excited!
Lindsay

alliegator Jun 18th, 2003 03:36 PM

In Sydney:

The Taronga Zoo was really nice because you got to see all the native animals and learn a little bit about them.

Although not Opera people, we went to see one and kinda enjoyed it. We got the really cheap seats, but for us it was good enough. We didn't get really dressed up either.

The Royal Botanical Gardens was so beautiful. It is big though, so don't think you can do it in an hour.

Hope this is a start.

Amy

Daneille Jun 18th, 2003 04:00 PM

Sydney - as you've said the bridge climb is great. And Taronga Zoo - the ferry ride across is nice. Ferry to Manly followed by lunch, a tour of the historic Rocks, a trip to the top of Centrepoint Tower, a bargain hunting trip to Paddy's Markets (at Haymarket in the city). Dinner at Edna's Table for Real Aussie fare. A night out at the Opera House (just to go there it's wonderful). Markets at the Rocks on Sunday. Perhaps a day trip to the Blue Mountains. Catch the ferry to lovely Balmain, walk up the big, big hill (have a beer at the Commercial and the London on the way) and then lunch at one of the very nice restaurants in Darling Street. Perhaps a harbour cruise (especially at night time). Catch the bus (or a cab) to Bondi Beach.

Go to www.whatsoninsydney.com for some ideas or things that might be more your cup of tea.

Jon_Eric Jun 18th, 2003 06:50 PM

Hi LJ, its been a few years but I liked Perth very much. I spent a day on Rottnest on bicycle most of it and thought it was great fun, love the Quokkas! Kings Park and the Botanical garden are great. The WA museum on Francis street is worth a look and the old gaol too. I would also drive up the coast to Monkey Mia, if you like dolphins its worth it, its also an interesting drive. I also enjoyed my trip to Esperance and the town of Albany was beautiful too, these are southeast from Perth. You'll see beautiful beaches when you get to Sydney, no doubt about that, but the beaches I saw in WA were pretty impressive too and not as crowded(then) and maybe a little more....rugged I guess would be the word than some of the NSW beaches.

Where are you staying in Perth and Sydney? By the way, Congratulations! Australia is a wonderful honeymoon spot have a great time!

johhj_au Jun 18th, 2003 10:23 PM

In sydney
Spit to Manly walk,
Sea plane flight rose bay-palm beach.
Ferry to Watsons bay....Doyles or Watsons Bay pub...bondi explorer to Bondi and then back to the city.

Ferry to Milsons point..swim some laps at nth sydney pool..breakfast at ripples..walk across bridge..climb south west pylon..beer at roof top bar at Glenmore Hotel.Just as good as the bridgeclimb at a quarter of the price.

bigjay Jun 20th, 2003 05:55 PM

LJ congrats....imo Australia is a wonderful place and Perth is the secret destination my wife and 14 yr.old loved. I've been twice now and my family once, Perth was the real jewel of the trip. All the rest of the country we had read about and studied. When we did Perth we just explored. Rottnest is a must...maybe take 2 days there since you are honeymooners.;) There is a very romantic resturant across the Swan River from the hotels(Hilton) you might try. I think is started with a C... hmmm maybe not. Someone here might know.
The Aussies are the friendliest and the people in Perth are the friendliest of the friendly. Good luck and enjoy!
We have told people if time is short skip Alice and the Rock to be sure to take in Perth. Enjoy.

billbuckin Jun 24th, 2003 12:50 PM

Perth - Rotto is awesome in a way that I have never found anywhere else in the world. Spent many a summer sitting on the pub wall, looking at Perth over the ocean, relaxing and letting the cares of the world slip by. A couple of middies of Swan or Emu help out too. Can do day trips from Perth but most ferries leave from Freo. 20 minute trip or so.

Try to catch an AFL game while in Perth, usually played in Subiaco from Fri to Sun. Both WA teams Eagles and Dockers are on fire this year.

Really recommend the Old Freo Prison, great tours from the guides. I believe there is an evening tour with candles - spooky.

A day trip to Scarboro beach is fun even in winter. Some die hard surfers will be out there. Some fine and inexpensive seafood restaurants can give you beach side views.

Good luck.