Reload this Page >

The weather of Tasmania in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Rita

We are planning to visit Australia in mid July. We know that it's winter time during our visit. Does anybody know if it's not advisable to visit Tasmania at that time because it would be too cold? What would be the temp.(in degree celsius please) in Tasmania at that time? Would we just have 'white' view all over the place and don't have many choices of seafood to choose? Your valuable comment is valuable and highly appreciated.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Kay

Rita,<BR>July in Australia is the middle of winter. In Hobart, average max. would be about 10-14 degrees celsius in July and occasionally drops to freezing overnight. It rarely snows in the streets of Hobart but there would be snow on Mt Wellington which is nearby. Tasmania is famous for it's fresh seafood all year round. Expect cold and rainy weather (Tasmania does not have good ski conditions). We prefer Tasmania in the summer, perhaps in July you could head to the north of our country where its warm.<BR>Hope this helps. Kay

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Mike

It depends on what you want to do in Tasmania. My wife and I were in Hobart, Tasmania for a week in July of 2001. June / July / August is a great time to go if you want weather like fall in the northeast United States. Mt. Wellington was covered with clouds every day we were there but we found a great cafe at the top of Mt Nelson with some spectaculat views, great scones and tea. We visited the catamaran & chocolate factories. Take the boat tour to both factories and you'll learn all about the ship that knocked down the bridge to Hobart. Spent a day at Port Arthur that was well worth the time. So much history in that one small place. If you're there on a Saturday, you should spend time at the Salamanka Market. The entire street is blocked off and there are vendors galore.<BR><BR>We stayed at Lenna of Hobart (in the old section) and had some wonderful meals in their restaurant "Alexander's".<BR>The steak with peanut butter sounds strange but is out of this world!Additionally, there are plenty of restaurants all around the harbor area and many of them offer good seafood. <BR><BR>If you need more specific data post a note and I'll get the names of other restaurants we ate in. There are also a couple of internet cafes in Hobart.<BR><BR>Tasmania is a great place to visit and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. <BR>

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Stephie

Australia is such a huge country it would be difficult to see it all in just one visit. That is why I would stick North for a July Visit. Sydney northwards. Do Darwin instead of Tasmania in July. Next time you return to Oz (and you will, trust me) you can travel in December and do the South. We went in June/July 2000. When we landed in Melbourne we couldn't believe how damp and cold it was! We are Canadian and used to dealing with cold too. Even in Perth and Sydney we found it cool but pleasant during the day but at night it was especially cold because houses (we stayed with relatives) and most hotels and hostels do not have heating! When we travelled north (as far as Exmouth in the West)and Cairns in the East we found the days warm 25C and cooler in the evenings (sometimes down to below 10 degrees C in some areas. Next time we go to Australia Tasmania is definately on my list but only during the summer.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 02:53 PM
steve robertson

As one who lived in Tassie for 9 years (but also went to uni in Missouri for 3), I will vehementy disagree with those who avoid the state in July. Sure it is cool, with daytime highs around 12C and overnight lows in Hobart around 2 (MUCH colder in Launceston). But on a sunny day, all you need is a light sweater and you are fine. The great advantage of June/July in Tas is the utter lack of crowds and the freshness of the national parks. Go to Mt Field and see the falls on a June day and there will be hardly anyone else there, but the experience will be magic. Similarly, Cradle Mtn will have plenty of snow and will be at its most scenic. What Tasmanians define as "cold" is nothing remotely similar to Illinois in February. People here have no idea of real cold, unless its our Alps in August. So go to Tassie in July by all means. Be prepared for a bit of rain and cold at times, but also be ready for ample sunshine, cheap rates and no crowds. I would avoid September, though, since that's when the gales come thru and the cold wind will drive you nuts.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:21 PM
louise

I have to agree with Steve,I would definitely go to Tassie in July.The weather will be fairly crisp but I personally don't think you can beat cool, crisp, clear, winter days.The snow on Mount Wellington looks spectacular,make sure you drive up the east coast and go to the north west as well because they are beautiful areas ....it's really easy to jump in a car and drive around ! I am biased about Tassie because I grew up there but now live in Sydney.It may be small and cool at times but it is really beautiful and the people are friendly !