The best time to visit Australia

Old Mar 7th, 2022, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best time to visit Australia

Hi guys, my name is Bianca and I'm new at this forum. Me and my husband want to visit Australia for a long time, but with the COVID 19 situation we delayed our trip. I just wanted to ask you what is the best time to visit Australia?
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 05:46 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi bianca, welcome to Fodor's!

That's a pretty broad question considering the size of Australia and it's various climates.

I lived in Australia for seven years (Western Australia) and for me, a Colorado girl, the quick answer is anytime other than the southern hemisphere summer, but that's because I hated summers there...too hot sticky and fly ridden for me. I couldn't wait until March rolled around, when temperatures dipped and I could breathe again.

But you might be different, you might enjoy hot weather.

Our favorite time to travel locally and in other states such as South Australia and Tasmania was usually between April and October, although many people will advise you to avoid winter (June-August give or take) in some parts of the country. It's all about what you want to see and do, what type of weather you like and where you want to go.

We also went out of our way to avoid local school holidays, which vary from state to state; and of course long holiday weekends, like Good Friday through Easter Monday (sometimes Tuesday).

I suggest you start by narrowing down exactly where you want to visit and then look at average temperatures and weather patterns for that particular place. Then finesse even more by looking at school holidays and national holidays, etc.

This might help get you started:

https://www.australia.com/en-us/fact...australia.html

Old Mar 7th, 2022, 09:04 PM

I agree with what Melnq8 says.

The countryside in the south in spring is usually green but often brown and dry in summer (and often early autumn) - sometimes you'd swear you're in a different place. The wildflowers in WA in the spring are supposed to be fantastic (but I've never seen them which is really sad because I've lived in Australia all my life). The autumn leaves in the southern states can be beautiful. There is nothing more beautiful than a sunny winter's day in Melbourne but it can also be cold and bleak too.

If you heading to northern Queensland, check out the stinger season when swimming in the sea can be hazardous.

The long summer school holidays are from mid-Dec to end-January and accommodation can be harder to find and more expensive. University holidays tend to end at the end of February or early March. Same busyness goes - perhaps to a lesser degree - for all school holidays.

Overall, in the south, I'd go for spring or autumn. In the far north, I think it matters less as it's typically warm all the time, although it can be wet over the summer months - just avoid the stingers. I'd head to central Australia in the winter, myself. It really is a huge country geographically, with corresponding variations in weather.

I'd also check out any events which you might like to participate in (or avoid).

When you make your plans, don't try and cover too much ground. The very last thing you want is to spend too much time just getting from A to B.

Last edited by dreamon; Mar 7th, 2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bianca_catts View Post
Hi guys, my name is Bianca and I'm new at this forum. Me and my husband want to visit Australia for a long time, but with the COVID 19 situation we delayed our trip. I just wanted to ask you what is the best time to visit Australia?
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I would avoid the January school holidays, but other than that it completely depends on what activities you want to do.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 04:55 PM

If you aren't used to a hot climate, Australian summer can be quite brutal. I live in Sydney and our summer weather usually attracts 30C+ temperatures (on occasion we have days of up to 48C but sparingly) with humidity and in other areas around the country you can experience even higher temperatures but dry heat. Over December-January there are 6 week school holidays so around this time of year the main tourist attractions (and the beaches) are quite busy and it is very hot.

Depending on what your exact interests are, I would generally advise people to visit around October - by mid Spring the weather is quite pleasant but not too hot.