Search

Itinerary Help! Queenstown Five Day Return Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help! Queenstown Five Day Return Trip

Hi everyone,

I need help with my itinerary for a full five day return trip from Queenstown. The flights from/to Auckland from Queenstown were already booked through Jetstar before I realized that leaving from Christchurch would have been better. Unfortunately the flight can not be modified.

Having said the above, I know we have to double back somewhere. There will be just two of us arriving at Queenstown at 11am and our flight leaving Queenstown at 4pm from the 21st of September to 26th of September.

At first I was thinking of doing the following:

21-drive to Wanaka, explore and stay at Wanaka

22-drive to Franz josef, stay at Franz Josef

23-explore Franz Josef take heli hike, stay at Franz Josef

24-drive back to Queenstown

25-fly cruise fly to Milford Sound

26-explore Queenstown and depart

The fly cruise fly might be too expensive for my friend as well as the heli hike. Which one would be best to do if we had to pick just one? Probably fly cruise fly since it is less likely to get canceled?

I know cost is really important to my friend so a result I started thinking about an alternative itinerary:

21-drive to Te Anau, stay at Te Anau

22-drive to Milford Sound and take a cruise, stay at Milford Sound

23-drive to Queenstown, stay at Queenstown

24-drive to Dunedin, stay at Dunedin

25 explore area, drive to Queenstown stay at Queenstown

26-depart

Or maybe drive to Lake Wanaka and explore surrounding areas instead on the 24-25th

I know that because we have to leave from Queenstown we are limited in our options. What is the best we can do with our options? I'm up for any suggestions and changes. Expensive and not so expensive options. I also read it's better not to drive to Milford Sound due to avalanches and that it would be better to take the bus?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Pulling my hair right now
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 11:09 AM

Our helihike was cancelled so we opted to do the guided walking tour of Franz Josef glacier. It was one of the most memorable tours I have ever done--much more memorable than either of the two cruises I did of Milford Sound.

So, if your budget is tight, look at doing the hike on the glacier. And if, for budgetary reasons, it comes down to choosing between the hike and Milford Sound cruise--go with the hike!
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 06:12 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Avalanches and poor weather affect the buses too...Milford Road does close on occasion that time of year, but if it's closed, it's closed to everyone.

If you're at all worried about driving on potentially icy and snowy roads, do take the bus, but if you're experienced with driving in potentially adverse conditions on the left side of the road, it's really no drama. There will be little traffic on Milford Road in September. Do what's comfortable for you.

I personally could spend several weeks in the Queenstown area and not run out of things to do. It's a great base from which to explore Wanaka, Arrowtown, Glenorchy, and Te Anau.

Franz Josef is a good six hour drive from QT, more with stops and in adverse weather, so you'll spend a full day getting there and a full day back, which will really eat into your time.

Do be aware that's there's nothing IN Milford other than the boat terminal, a café and a hotel. There aren't even any walks, save a short one around the cruise terminal. You'd be better driving in from Te Anau and then returning to Te Anau the same day. If you plan well and the weather is in your favor, you can explore some of the many tracks along Milford Road on the way in or out.

Do be aware days in September are short and can be quite cold.

I fail to see the point in driving to Dunedin just to turn around and drive back the next day. I think you'd be happier driving less and spending more quality time in the Queenstown/Lakes District. Less driving, more time to see the area you've flown to.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 01:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What Mel said.

perhaps spend the first 2 nights in Te Anau [so you can devote a day to the drive to Milford Sound and the sound itself] and the rest in QT? Wanaka is only an hour or so away from QT so you don't need to stay there overnight. if the weather's good you can do a hell-flight to the glaciers from QT - it's expensive but with so few days, a much better use of your time than all of that driving.

if you were determined to do it, you could drive from Te Anau to Wanaka, stay one night, then to FJ, stay 2 nights, then back to QT. but then you have no time at all in QT which rather defeats the object of going there.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 05:48 AM

And don't forget that Queenstown is prime vineyard country in an area that is incredibly beautiful to drive around. Mt Difficulty was my favorite. It's lovely to devote a day in Queenstown to that pursuit!
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 05:55 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Mt Difficulty is my favorite too, we adore their dry Reisling, but the OP should note that it's located in Bannockburn, about 58 km from Queenstown. They have a great little restaurant, be sure to book so you're not disappointed.

Amisfield, is also a good one, located about 25 minutes from Queenstown in Arrowtown. It's hugely popular, so if you want to eat there, you'll want to book.