Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Tasmania in April? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/tasmania-in-april-491231/)

Cmo Dec 17th, 2004 08:14 AM

Tasmania in April?

I've seen some great posts here, so I'm hoping for some help with my itinerary! My husband and I are finally going on our honeymoon in early April 2005 (a year after our wedding). We're flying into Brisbane and out of Sydney, with a bit more than 2 weeks in between.

We were going to pretty much wing it, going with the weather, but this new airfare sale has me thinking I should book some intra-Australia tix now. We're definitely going to the GBR (from Port Douglas), then down to Sydney and the surrounding areas. With the fare sale, we could get really cheap tix to Tasmania too, though we'd probably only be able to do Tues-Thurs (due to seat availability). Is it worth it? And if so, should we go to Cradle Mt or Freycinet Park? Or should we either go somewhere else altogether (Melbourne?) or just stick around QLD/NSW for a few more days?

Thanks!!

Judy_in_Calgary Dec 17th, 2004 08:37 AM

Congratulations, Cmo.

In my opinion you have enough on your plate without Tassie. You're already talking about Brisbane, Far North Queensland and Sydney. Three areas is more than enough to take on if you have 2 weeks or just a bit more than 2 weeks available. I suggest you do a bit more research and figure out what you want to do in each region before you buy those air tickets. If you don't understand the time you require in each place, you could seriously shortchange yourself.

In my opinion, FNQ requires a minimum of 4 days, but better still 5 days, not counting the days on which you travel to and from the area.

Sydney requires 3 full days for the city itself plus 1 or 2 days for the Blue Mountains.

That doesn't leave you with all that much spare time for Brisbane and its surrounding countryside, which also have a lot to offer.

Cmo Dec 17th, 2004 08:58 AM

Hmm, I was thinking of not spending very long in the Brisbane area. The surrounding stuff sounds great, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it over Tasmania. We're definitely spending a good amount of time in FNQ and Sydney (at least 5 nights each). So would you recommend staying longer in Brisbane/Sunshine coast? I'm also a little worried that the weather in QLD is unpredictable in April?
Thanks for your help!

Judy_in_Calgary Dec 17th, 2004 09:18 AM

Cmo, if you're not interested in Brisbane and its surroundings, I'm puzzled why you're flying into it at all.

Yes, April is the tail end of The Wet, and that does make the weather in Queensland unpredictable. As I understand it, that affects FNQ more than Brisbane. The anecdotal accounts here at Fodors seem to suggest that, and the information at the Weather Underground website indicates that too. That's one of the reasons why one needs spare time and why one needs to book one's GBR outing for one's first full day in FNQ. If the weather makes the sea rough and doesn't permit one to go out on one's preferred day, one has a chance to substitute a land-based activity and try for the GBR another day. According to the Fodorites who live in FNQ, the rain usually falls in the form of short, sharp showers in the afternoons, so it usually does not preclude land-based activities.

I've never been to Tasmania myself, but I've seen several Fodorites planning 7-day and 10-day trips around Tasmania. If one goes there for a shorter time, one has to be very disciplined and choose only one corner of Tasmania to explore.

This isn't too big a deal, but in an ideal world a trip to Australia in the southern hemisphere spring would start in the south and move northwards. But I don't know if you're already locked into your inter-continental flights.

Anyway, there are Fodorites who are familiar with both Tasmania and the Gold Coast (south of Brisbane), and I will trust them to come along and give you a comparison between the two and also comment on April specifically.

Judy_in_Calgary Dec 17th, 2004 10:46 AM

>>>>>>an ideal world a trip to Australia in the southern hemisphere spring would start in the south and move northwards<<<<<<

I don't <b>believe</b> what I just said. April is the southern hemisphere <b>auumn</b>! Sorry about that. Thanks to any Fodorite who saw that and managed to restrain him/herself from falling about laughing, on the forum at least. :[email protected]

But the conventional wisdom in the southern hemisphere is indeed south to north in their autumn, north to south in their spring.

lizF Dec 17th, 2004 01:02 PM

Generally speaking April in and around Brisbane is delightful weather - the wet has finished - if we have had any at all and its not hot. Very very nice. I have booked flights to the Whitsundays for 5 days in March.

Melnq8 Dec 18th, 2004 05:22 PM

Cmo -

For what it's worth - we visited Tassie in October/November where we spent all 16 days of our holiday. It's worth alot more than 2 or three days, so I'd suggest you leave it for another time when you can fully appreciate all that it has to offer.