Notices

Tasmania 16 days - advise please!

Apr 11th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Tasmania 16 days - advise please!

We will have 16 full days(17 nights) in Tasmania this September - October. We fly into and out of Hobart. We would love some help with this itinerary!
We're an active senior couple. We plan to spend a few days in Hobart seeing art museums etc., but are primarily interested in day hikes, scenery, plants, animals. We generally like to spend 2 more more nights in one spot so that we can have a full day or more to explore the area. We'll do shorter day hikes. I take the estimated hike time and double it - my husband can't walk by an interesting plant without taking a picture or two, so we would quickly get into trouble on "6 hour" hikes. We plan to hire a car.

Our proposed itinerary -
Day 1 - arrive Hobart 5:30 pm. Hobart 1 night. Find a grocery store to stock up.
Day 2 - Port Arthur one night. Historic site, scenic spots, a short hike.
Day 3 - Port Arthur, drive to Coles Bay. Coles Bay 2 nights
Day 4 - Freycinet NP. Wineglass bay hike. Others?
Day 5 - Freycinet NP, drive to St. Helens. St Helens 2 nights
Day 6 - Explore coast Binalong Bay to The Gardens, St Columba Falls walk
Day 7 - St Helens to Mole Creek 1night. Visit one cave if arrive early enough
Day 8 - Mole Creek - visit caves. Drive to Cradle Mountain 3 nignts
Day 9 & 10 - Cradle mountain day hikes
Day 11 - Drive to Strahan 2 nights
Day 12 - Gordon River Cruise
Day 13 - Strahan to Mt Field. Stop at St Clair Lake for short walk if have time. Fentonbury 2nights
Day 14 - Mt Field NP hikes - the 3 falls and tall trees
Day 15 - Fentonbury to Hobart
Day 16 & 17 - Hobart. Possible day trip to Tahune Forest AirWalk
Day 18 - Hobart AM. Afternoon flight to Sydney

Feedback please! Thanks!!
Apr 15th, 2016, 02:53 AM

Hi, I'm going to Tassie next week and travelling the East Coast so I can help you after that for that side of the island.
As for the West Coast, we were there last year at the same time of year.
Mole Creek caves are ok if you haven't seen Limestone caves before.
Cradle Mountain is great and there are several shorter day walks. We take lots of photos as well, I use the 'double the hike time' strategy as well!
The Strahan cruise is lovely. We paid for the 'good seats' in the upper part of the boat and it was definitely worth the extra.
Mt Field - we did the walk you are planning and we loved it. Russell Falls is the best of the waterfalls.
If you have any questions, let me know!
Apr 16th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

LakesideChick,
Thanks for your input! I put the Mole Creek caves as an interesting overnight between the east coast and Cradle Mountain. It sounds we might want to look at some other stopover spots.
RE the Strahan cruise. We planned to book window seats, either main deck or upper deck, but have no idea why one level would be better than the other. Why did you feel the upper deck seats better than lower deck window seats?
Thanks!
Apr 17th, 2016, 01:30 AM

Hi again
There are 2 cruise companies that operate the cruise out of Strahan. We went with Gordon River Cruises, only because their cruise left half an hour earlier in the day. http://www.gordonrivercruises.com.au/
We chose the Captains Premier Upper Deck. It was more expensive, but its a beautiful view from the top of the ship, less crowded, beautiful leather reclining seat and better food. We could also talk to the Captain if we wanted to. I enjoyed the experience.

Search this Thread