Notices

Taronga versus Featherdale or Both?

Aug 3rd, 2014, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Taronga versus Featherdale or Both?

We will be in Sydney for 4 full days in September before driving to Katoomba for a couple of nights. We were planning on doing the zoo in Sydney and stopping at Featherdale on the way to Katoomba. We both enjoy animals and my wife enjoys hands-on experiences with them. We have traveled extensively and have always enjoyed a few hours at the local zoos. I have seen mixed reviews of Featherdale and noticed in another recent post that doing both Katoomba and Featherdale might be redundant. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:43 PM

Taronga is a world-class zoo with fantastic views, but not so much up close and personal, and a limited number of Ausssie animals. Featherdale is a very small private zoo which goes heavy on Australian animals. Featherdale is better for the hands-on experiences (holding an owl on your wrist, and patting a joey), IMO, but when I was there 10 years ago I noticed that some of the animals (notably the Tassie devil) had behavioural problems (running around and around the enclosure in a way that just wasn't normal), and the animals are displayed in what is really a very small space. I would make your decision based on that knowledge. Featherdale and Katoomba is a good combo. I would not do both Taronga and Featherdale.

There is another Sydney option, Wildlife World, which is another Aussie animal display at Darling Harbour, but can't really speak to it as I haven't been there.

Lavandula

Search this Thread