Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Tahitian Cruise Preference? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/tahitian-cruise-preference-404873/)

Dgentrysim Feb 29th, 2004 03:21 AM

Tahitian Cruise Preference?

My husband & I were planning to go to Tahiti/Moorea and then on to Sydney for his retirement vacation, but then we started looking into the tahitian cruises. We feel that we couldn't do justice to either place in the 12-15 days we would be gone. So we noticed the cruises and feel we could see more of the Tahitian islands if we just stuck with one destination. We've seen a couple of cruises that interested us - Paul Gauguin cruise - 8 days and Windstar Cruises - 10 days. Anyone that has been on a cruise like these, please give me your thoughts.Would love to hear your likes/dislikes, cruise ship preferences, etc. We did like the idea of stopping off for a night or two at one island to actually stay on that island - be able to explore on foot more. Any tips/suggestions would be most appreciative. Going in June. Thanks!!!!!

kkraczek Feb 29th, 2004 07:02 AM

I have not been yet- but will be going on the Paul Gauguin in June... I am so excited! The Paul Gauguin was just rated #1 small cruise ship in the world by Conde Nast Traveler magazine. That says something, I think!

Good luck in your search- I think that a cruise is a wonderful way to see more of the islands!

Dgentrysim Feb 29th, 2004 12:55 PM

kkraczek: Would be very interested in hearing back after your cruise to see how well you enjoyed it, which island(s) you liked better, etc. Let me know when you come back......Enjoy your cruise!

debsmiley Mar 10th, 2004 11:03 AM

My husband and I did a Renaissance cruise in Tahiti in 2000 (ship now owned by Princess). We absolutely loved the islands and want to return some day. We have also taken 2 Windstar cruises (Costa Rica and Caribbean) and would take another every year if money were no object. We truly love the small size ships, the ambience of the sails, and the low-key atmosphere. Food has been wonderful, and it very much feel like a floating country-club, if that makes sense. There are no evening shows, no loud announcements, going ashore and reboarding are simple and quick, and some of the nicest "entertainment" is simply getting to know fellow passengers. That said, if your style of cruising is glitter and lots of planned entertainment and activities, you will not like Windstar. I suggest you read up on the cruiseline on any cruise board.
We found French Polynesia fascinating and gorgeous. The advantage of going on a ship is seeing many of the islands in a very expeditious way. We booked tours on our own on each island with no trouble at all. We did circle-island tours, snorkle tours, etc. Many of the hotels allow you to use their beaches, and that was great, too. Papeete was not for us - noisy, dirty, etc. The market was very interesting, but I would suggest getting our of Tahita as fast as possible, and on to the other islands. French Polynesia is a magical place. I don't feel like we missed anything by not spending the night on an island. Standing on the deck of a sailing ship under the stars (and without light polution!) is one of my most romantic memories.

Dgentrysim Mar 11th, 2004 08:27 AM

debsmiley......thanks for your comments....we are looking forward to a smaller cruise atmosphere! We're meeting with our travel agent next week to make firm plans on our trip....I still want to spend 2 nights in Moorea in a OWB so we could just have a full day of snorkeling and being blissfully lazy! lol Thanks again for your advice! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

kkraczek Mar 18th, 2004 01:39 PM

Just wondering which cruise you decided upon... are you still going this June?

debsmiley Mar 26th, 2004 10:39 AM

Just got my 2005 preview brochure from Windstar and found, to my dismay, they will not be cruising Tahiti after 2004. If you want the sailing experience in Tahiti, better get it soon!

kbella Apr 3rd, 2004 01:56 PM

My husband and I did Windstar in 2002 and just returned form Radisson's Paul Gauguin last month.We loved them both.The Windstar was more intimate and romantic feeling with fewer passengers(150) and those glorious sails.The P.G. holds about 350 pax but never seemed the least bit crowded.Unlike the Windstar, the P.G. has cabins with balconies,offers complimentary wines with lunch and dinner,stocks your room with 2 bottles of your choice of liquors(+mixers),and has 2 motu beach days with complimentary drinks.
On this last trip we did the 7 day cruise,then spent 4 nights on Moorea in an overwater bungalow.If you do the cruise, I would suggest a pre or post cruise stay on Moorea or Bora Bora.I truly did not want to come home.
Hope this helps with your decision.
Kbella

Alfomega Apr 6th, 2004 07:23 PM

I like Windstar for the feel of the ocean. You're really on a boat, not a floating hotel. The crew absolutely pampers you. By the end of the cruise you know everybody, and have possibly made another good friend. You could get off on Mo'orea, the last port of call and closest to Papeete, and spend another night or two. Take the ferry back to Papeete and a bus or taxi to the airport. Windstar is not another cruise - it's an experience.

proudfam Apr 8th, 2004 11:39 AM

kbella,
Where did you stay in Moorea? And if you did this again, where would you stay after the cruise? I was told that Bora Bora was the place, but Moorea sounds more convenient.
Thanks