Tahiti and Rangiora islands of S.P.

Apr 9th, 1997, 10:54 AM
Dawn

Tahiti and Rangiora islands of S.P.

Taking a cruise in mid November of 1997 from Tahiti and would like to stay another week for scuba diving in Rangiora or another island of equal diving quality. Would like to get info on accomodations on Rangiora similar place. Appriciate the help.
Dawn

May 15th, 1997, 03:36 PM
sasha

HELLO DAWN. GOOD CHOICE ON PICKING TAHITI FOR A HOLIDAY. UNFORTUNATLY I CARRY NO GOOD NEWS OF DIVING IN TAHITI. YOU MAY HAVE BEEN OFFERED A DIVING PACKAGE, BUT IN MY OPINION THE REEFS ARE EXTREMLY BARREN, BUT THE WATER IS WARM AND EXTREMLY CLEAR AND FULL OF BRILLIANT COLOUR. VISABILITY IS GOOD, BUT NOT TO MUCH TO SEE. AS FAR AS FISH GO, YOU MAY BE LUCKY ENOUGH TO SEE THE FEEDING OF THE SHARKS. YOU WILL NEED TO GO TOO BORA BORA FOR THIS. IF YOU GET THE CHANCE DO NOT MISS IT!!! YOU MAY EVEN BE INTERESTED IN DIVING HOLIDAYS IN VANUATU (GREAT FOR WRECK DIVING,"SANTO SPIRITU") OR FIJI AND THE SOLAMON ISLANDS. FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY MORE QUESTIONS ON THE SOUTH PACIFIC. ENJOY YOUR TRIP.

May 20th, 1997, 12:54 PM
Geoff

I am planning a two-week trip to Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, etc. I am looking for remote, romantic, and inexpensive places to stay - preferably not in hotels. Also looking for best way to get around the islands. DOes anyone know any "locals secrets"?

Jul 6th, 1997, 11:32 AM
BJ KERR

Hi there.We are planning a trip to Bora Bora, Moorea or Rangiroa. I am looking for some recommendations on accomodations. Some of the pricing and rates has scared me off so far. As we are travelling from Canada, air fare is expensive, so we are looking for a modest price for accomodation with beach front access. Over the water bungalows would be outstanding, but I don't think that would be realistic. Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank You.

Jul 7th, 1997, 05:17 PM
Anne

"Islands in the Sun" has some very reasonable packages to Tahiti. We were there for 2 weeks in November 1996. It's a little pricey, but then what is Paradise worth? Try to find a travel agent who has been there, because Tahiti is not like ging to Florida, Hawaii or even the Caribbean. We almost didn't make it there, as the majority of travel agents didn't have any knowledge about "Island in the Sun" or "Tahiti Vacations". These travel agents just wanted to send us with the other 7 million tourists to Hawaii. We called around and finally found a travel agent who had been there and was very eager about helping us as it's such a unique place. Tahiti only gets approximately 150,000 tourists a year. We stayed at the Club Bali Hai on Cook's Bay on Moorea for the best 2 weeks of our lives. Buy the meal plan, the food is expensive otherwise. The food is also incredibly good! E-mail me if I can help you further. Anne.

Jul 8th, 1997, 02:00 PM
Betty

I highly recommend diving Taputa pass in Rangiroa. This is a drift dive of about 5-6 knots and you will see lots of large gray sharks cruising around waiting for bite size food to float by. The June 1997 edition of National Geographic Magazine features Tahiti and her outer islands. Inside is an excellent article about this particular shark dive. Our dive master did not feed the sharks. Don't be afraid. The sharks don't like you anymore than you like them so they keep a comfortable distance. The other marine life is very curious and friendly. A very large puffer fish peered directly into my mask and then let me touch him as I drifted past. I found diving in Bora Bora (including the shark feed) to be mediocre in comparison to Rangiroa. The water in Bora Bora is not as clear either because the island runoff gets trapped inside the chain of motu's surrounding the main island. Overall, however, you have a good chance of seeing "big critters" such as large eels, manta rays, eagle rays, dolphins, sharks, etc. at both locations.