Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   sydney to perth by train (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/sydney-to-perth-by-train-196379/)

warren stone Oct 16th, 2001 11:22 AM

sydney to perth by train

any information and /or opinions would be appreciated

LizF Oct 16th, 2001 12:48 PM

This train take you across the " Nulla- boring plain" <BR>You would have to love trains very much to do this trip, or love to read, or hate planes. There is 2,500 klms of absolutely nothing!!! Then there is the xxxx klms that offer little

Alan Oct 16th, 2001 08:22 PM

Warren, I have to totally agree with Liz. The train is called the Indian Pacific, and it takes several days. You'd probably find the first half-day interesting, as the plains gradually became the desert, but from then on, what are you going to do with your time? I did part of this route a year ago, and by the time we reached Broken Hill (near the NSW border), my love of train travel had dissipated somewhat. I know some Australians do this trip so that they can really say they have "seen" Australia, but I suspect that what they are seeing is merely the degree of "sameness" of inland Australia. If you must go to Perth, my recommendation is to go by air and look down every once in a while.

Kerry Oct 16th, 2001 09:19 PM

Don't waste precious holiday time. Absolutely flat nothing for most of the trip. If you want a train trip Sydney-Melbourne or Sydney - Brisbane - both about 12 hours would be better options.

Michelle Oct 16th, 2001 11:37 PM

I joined the train from Adelaide to Perth and yes, it's a long haul but it's also the amazing place in the world. Some people may find 20 hours of nothingness boring. But if you like train travel it's an experience you should enjoy. The Nullarbour plain is a full of absolute nothingness, not a tree, not a bush, not a road, not a river, not a hill, in every direction as far as the eye can see. If you pay the extra money you'll get your own sleeper room and fancy eating car. No, it's not a lovely mountain Swiss rail journey, but it's very epic. Of course you can just fly, but if this poster just wanted to fly everywhere why would he be asking about trains?

LizF Oct 17th, 2001 12:40 PM

Hi Warren - again <BR>I have just read the last poster who enjoyed the trip from Adelaide to Perth and that is an option to either train it from Sydney to Adelaide and then fly ( my option as a train lover) or fly to Adelaide and then go by train to Perth. <BR>At least you know though what we Aussies think of the Nullabor! The train trip from Adelaide to Alice Springs is nice tho'. <BR>

margi Oct 17th, 2001 01:41 PM

Warren, Last night I watched Global Village, a 6.00pm travelogue on tele. It was all about the train trip from Sydney through to Perth and after seeing it and listening to the travellers, I would definitely do it. Some passengers had done the trip several times as they enjoyed it so much. Certainly the stretch across the Nullabor takes about 10 hours or so, but overall the journey was interesting and fascinating. It's a three day trip, the accommodation is first class and the meals in the restaurant excellent. If you enjoy train travel and are contemplating this trip, my suggestion is do it as if you never go, you'll never know. Enjoy

Alan Oct 17th, 2001 08:26 PM

Hi, Warren... again! <BR> <BR>I read a lot of the responses on this board, and my advice is... when in doubt, listen to LizF. I have found every reply she has written so far worth careful consideration... my guess is she really knows her Australia! And her idea... to fly to Adelaide (you'd probably be able to get a cheap deal on this much-travelled route) and then train to Perth, thus saving half your time, sounds like the best of all possible worlds. Whatever you do, have a great time!