Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Sydney: Specific shopping and dining advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/sydney-specific-shopping-and-dining-advice-553702/)

ardeisfka Aug 23rd, 2005 07:57 AM

Sydney: Specific shopping and dining advice

Making my annual trek down to OZ for some GBR fishing in first part of Oct. Looking for some recommendations on:

1) Dining. Prefer more upscale, and a good wine list is a must. Have frequented the Wine Banc in the past, great wines-by-the-glass list, but think it was closed last year for renovations?? Italian, steaks, Chinese, Aussie, seafood, my wife and I like it all.

2) Antique stores in Sydney? Went to the big antique market on ?Queen St??? last year, was impressed by their collection in one booth of bronze and marble statues. Is this the best location? Looking for European style artifacts.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers mates!!!

PS Any big events going on first week of Oct? Believe we are in Sydney 5th thru AM of 10th. Last year, I failed to realize it was rugby World Cup and flew out the day the games started and missed going...Doooooohhh!

ARdeis in Seminole, FL

Peteralan Aug 23rd, 2005 04:25 PM

Hi ardeisfka. If you are after upscale restaurants in Sydney you could look at Quay, Est, Rockpool ( the last for seafood )all in the city area. Lots of others of course but its a start and these are all good. For Chinese maybe Golden Century in Chinatown. The winelist there would be fairly run of the mill I would think but very good in the others.Make sure you book in advance. Not sure about big events first week in Oct. There is a public holiday on first Monday but that would be before you get here. Have fun!

Bokhara Aug 23rd, 2005 08:48 PM

Hi Ardeisfka,
Try Marque, Becasse, Tetsuyas, Aria, Icebergs Dining Room (Bondi Beach), Bathers Pavillion (Balmoral Beach), Forty ONe, Est, Boathouse at Blackwater Bay. Otto (Wooloomooloo wharf).
The new edition of the Sydney Morning Herald "Good Food Guide" should be in newsagents & book stores when you get here. It's worth the price.

Antiques - Queen St. Woolahara (eastern suburbs) is a good browsing area. I have a feeling the Antique fair might be on in October. Someone else more knowledgeable will help out here, I'm sure.

Enjoy your stay.

Wine Banc has closed.

ardeisfka Aug 24th, 2005 09:56 AM

Thanks for the replies......
Have been to Golden Century and the Boathouse, both are excellent!

Any rec's for cousy, romantic dining?

Cheers!
Ardeis

JohnFitz Aug 24th, 2005 07:59 PM

Go to the South Dowling Street Antique Market, Surry Hills .Bigger than Queen St and a good range .Easy distance to Queen St by car or a walk through parklands .

Peteralan Aug 25th, 2005 03:31 PM

ardeisfka, Wine Banc is open but is now Wine Banq. Not sure if it is simply a name change or different owners.Cheers!

theshippingoffice Aug 25th, 2005 03:49 PM

ardeisfka,
Despite my jealousy about you fishing the GBR inprime BM time I'm still willing to help out a fellow angler....sometimes I even suprise myself...
I'll leave you with two I think fit the bill. Both have very, very good wine lists and well-above average food. More importantly (to me) both succeed in making the dining experience more than the sum of its parts and both always make for a memorable evening.
Buon Ricordo is in Paddington (5 minutes in a cab from the CBD) and is a very charming, romantic and cosy italian restaurant which is highly recommended (my wife's favourite restaurant). http://www.buonricordo.com.au
Forty One Restaurant is a totally different experience - more fine-dining and maybe not as warm but still romantic in its own way. On the 41st floor (obviously) in the CBD you should try and get there early to see the city and harbour at dusk and then into the night - book a table near the window.
http://www.forty-one.com.au
I hope this helps - both places are consistently very good to great in my experience.
Tight lines!

ardeisfka Aug 26th, 2005 01:44 PM

To Shipping.....
Would be curious if you fish much on GBR and if so, would like to discuss some of the changes and how locals feel about them as regards fishing rules on the Reef. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Reallyblessed Aug 26th, 2005 02:04 PM

Dear ardeisfka,

We just spent our anniversary in Sydney. Asked lots of locals for their advice for a very romantic restaurant with good wine, better view, fantastic ambiance, and price is no object. We asked taxi drivers, limo drivers, post office employees, flight attendants, hotel staff, and our hotel concierge (the new Sydney Hilton). We took the advice of the concierge. He arranged a limo, and he spoke with the folks at the Wildfire restaurant where he 'demanded' the best table in the place. (with the understanding that if we arrived and the best table wasn't available, we would not be staying) Anyway, the best table was waiting for us and we had the most outstanding view of the Opera House from the table that was outside with a completely unimpeded view of the OH. The wine list was fairly extensive (Winner: Wine List of the Year 2002, 2003, 2004) but we relied on the advice of the somalier. It was an excellent choice and my wife said the meal, the wine, and view of the OH was just surreal. (it was a surprise for her) We were seated at 8:30 and we left at 11:45 - if that gives you any indication of the wonderful time we had. This place is located at the Circular Quay at the Rocks waterfront. I suggest you 'google' it and see the website for yourself.

There are similar restaurants back here in Washington DC but none of these have a view of the Opera House.

Bon apetit and -

type to you later....

Peteralan Aug 26th, 2005 07:25 PM

Agree with shippingoffice's restaurant suggestions especially in regard to Buon Ricordo...great food, atmosphere and service.

Bokhara Aug 26th, 2005 09:02 PM

Hi Reallyblessed,
Glad you enjoyed Wildfire. It's not too bad, is it? Marginally better than McDonalds, I guess ;) One of my favourites on the other side is Arria.
Agree re. Buonricordo - Amando is one of our city's most gracious hosts.

Reallyblessed Aug 27th, 2005 05:55 AM

Dear Bokhara,
That's just cold (smile)
Actually Wildfire was excellent for us. Come to think of it, McDonald's isn't even too bad if you have the right company - a beautiful wife of 24 years sitting in front of you, and you're as much in love with her at that moment as you were 24 years ago. Yeah, Wildfire was the best place in the world that magical, wonderful, anniversary night. Remember, the recipe for a romantic evening isn't just the food, wine, and location (although Wildfire worked for us), a large part of the recipe is enchantment with your partner.

Reading the review of Buon Ricordo (http://www.foodtourist.com/FTGuide/Content/I541.htm), it seems like it might be a nice place to try on another trip.

type to you later....