Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Sydney Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/sydney-restaurants-254298/)

Patrice Aug 29th, 2002 11:31 AM

Sydney Restaurants

Hi,<BR><BR>Can anyone tell me a good place to go for "modern australian" cuisine in Sydney? <BR><BR>I was originally interested in Bennelong, but recent reviews I have read make it sound like the food is now French since it re-opened. <BR><BR>Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Patrice

Kathy Aug 30th, 2002 12:15 PM

I liked the Cafe Sydney in the Old Customs House. It's on the fifth floor and you can eat overlooking the Harbor.<BR>I should also mention that it was the most expensive meal I had in Australia, but very good!!

Melodie Aug 30th, 2002 05:42 PM

Patrice,<BR><BR>check out "Reds" in the Rocks - try the sampler appetizer plate with emu procuitto; water buffalo; crocodile; kangaroo......yum! :)<BR><BR>Melodie

chef Aug 31st, 2002 10:21 PM

Hi Patrice,<BR>PLEASE don't try Reds or any of the other tourist restaurants in this town.<BR>Great Oz food can be had at Mcleay St Bistro in Potts Pt or Bayswater Brasserie in Kings X, great Italian at Pazzo in Crown St and great Thai at Tuk Tuk in Kings x.<BR>Go where the locals go. (even the name Reds gives it away!)

Patrice Sep 1st, 2002 02:24 PM

Thanks for all the input so far.<BR><BR>What about Forty One? <BR><BR>Patrice

Melodie Sep 11th, 2002 05:38 PM

Patrice,<BR><BR>Forty one is a lovely upscale restaurant with wonderful food and ambiance. Need reservations.<BR><BR>Melodie

margo Sep 12th, 2002 07:24 PM

Forty one is spectacular, for a special feed.<BR>For Australian food, meaning wildfoods, native plants and animals, try Edna's Table, in the city - magnificant food, really interesting. <BR><BR>Keep away from the tourist areas generally for good food.

Arlene Sep 13th, 2002 10:28 AM

Anyone have any input on "Rockpool"?

kathy Sep 13th, 2002 11:57 AM

Patrice,<BR>I ate at Rockpool a year ago May and it was execellent. My son still talks about their crab salad appetizer! The most amazing place we ate in Sydney was Tetsuya (don't think I am spelling correctly)<BR>Kathy

oztravel Sep 13th, 2002 02:41 PM

I really enjoyed Level 41. Very eclectic meny fusing Australian regional meats, fishes and veggies wih English, Malaysian, Vietnamese and European styles and tastes. Cannot beat the view. Since it revolves slowly the manager put us in a location so that when dessert arrived we would be looking right at the lighted views of the Opera House and the Bridge. Awesome! The only negative is that it's a little brighter insided than I would have like and the atmosphere is kind of apartan and plain. But you should be looking out the windows anyways.

Sandy Sep 13th, 2002 02:47 PM

Hi - How "expensive" is Level 41 and how dressed to you have to be? We'll be there in November on a 23 day 1 suitcase trip. Thanks.

Felicia Sep 14th, 2002 02:02 PM

My husband and I went to Tetsuya's while we were on our honeymoon. This is a 12 course meal and the best of our lives (and we live in NYC)! It was $400 Aust. (at the time $200 US) and it was TOTALLY worth it! Have someone at your hotel make the reservation. I've heard it is hard to get in.