Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Sydney or Brisbane (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/sydney-or-brisbane-1718096/)

katelynmark1087 Oct 12th, 2023 10:04 PM

Sydney or Brisbane

Which place is better for one week vacation

Moderator1 Oct 12th, 2023 10:44 PM

Welcome to Fodors. We moved your topic to the Australia Forum, removed irrelevant tags and tagged it for Austrilia

KayF Oct 12th, 2023 11:17 PM

Better in what way? Things to do, weather, cheaper? Sydney is more popular.

scrb11 Oct 13th, 2023 12:05 PM

Yeah it depends entirely on what kind of things you enjoy doing.

Brisbane is warmer and seems to generally be drier, especially around November to Feb/March or so? I've only been there once and it was very warm in mid November.

Brisbane is near but not on the ocean. Neither is Sydney technically but you can get to Bondi and Manly pretty easily and buses to points south of Bondi for glorious coastal walks.

From Brisbane, I guess you have to travel about an hour north or south to the Gold Coast to see similar coastal walks?

Also not sure there is anything like Blue Mountains relatively close to Brisbane as the Blue Mountains are to Sydney.

Heimdall Oct 13th, 2023 11:57 PM

Two trips to Australia for me, one flying into Sydney, and the other to Brisbane. Both trips were 3-4 weeks long. For just a city break I would vote for Sydney. There’s so much to do there, one week doesn’t seem like enough.

My flight to Brisbane was just to connect with Far North Queensland, mainly because I wanted to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef. On both trips I spent some time at Noosa, which is on the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane. The Gold Coast is too glitzy for me.

Bokhara2 Oct 14th, 2023 10:13 PM

What are your interests?
When are you coming?
Have you looked at the readily available information on Australia.com?

Other than the use of the word, "vacation" which would tend to indicate you're North American, we know absolutely nothing about you - so I'm fascinated as to how you think a bunch of strangers would have the first idea as to what would be best for you.

Give us something to work with and we may be able and motivated to provide some useful information.

In any case: You will need a Visa. Get that approved if you are planning on a visit within the next 12 months.

northie Oct 18th, 2023 04:49 PM

we just had a great week in Sydney so much to do but I love cities

scrb11 Oct 18th, 2023 05:17 PM

I have an airline ticket to Australia, so far flying into Sydney, flying back out of Melbourne.

I visited Brisbane and the Sunshine and Gold Coasts last year.

I liked them but feel like there wasn't more to see so I'm not planning to go up to QL again.

I could book a domestic flight and spend some days up there. Weather is nicer than down south.