Sydney layover option?

Jan 31st, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Sydney layover option?

I am trying to see if I can make a visit into Sydney on a both layover to/from New Zealand for next month. The flight I am looking at is:

SFO-SYD lands 8am
SYD 6:15pm WLG 11:25PM

AKL SYD lands 10:30am
SYD 3:25pm SFO

Do you think I have time to get a good run around Sydney on both layover? I am not

- What it takes to get to town center (is that where I can do the bridge walk?)?
- Is there a big difference coming in on a weekday vs weekend?
-how custom would impact the time since I will be going from US to Austrilia to New Zealand ?
-Can I leave luggage at the airport?

Thanks for any help!
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:20 PM

Someone else will be better help here but when I compare customs at australian airports to other countries (eg usa, eng, fra, chi, jap etc) I've been to then I'd put australian customs on par with heathrow in terms of how long it might take to get through, but sometimes you can get through quickly (20 - 30 mins). I'd say plan something on the first one, hope for the best but plan for the worst for the second. You can get to the city centre in about 30 mins? (someone help me here). It'll be peak traffic time prior to 9am and about 4pm it'll start again.

I'd say try for a 11am bridge climb, shoot over to the opera house, botanic gardens or the rocks (you won;t have much time but you might breeze through) then get in the cab, train or bus about 3pm.

Any other thoughts?
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:35 PM

On your flight to NZ, if all went well with your flight arrival time, customs/immigration, storing bags (your checked bags would be held by the airline since you'd just be on a long connection), and transportation into town, you could probably be in the city center by 10am. Might even make it by 9:30 if all the moons aligned.
If you're interested in the bridge climb, I might pick an early afternoon climb in case you're running late, since I think it's non-refundable/changeable once it's booked. However, the bridge climb is somewhat time consuming, so in a very limited time, a stroll up the pylon, or even just 1/2 way across, might be a nice happy medium. In any case, you'd have about 5-6 hours in the city before you'd need to head back to the airport around 4pm. I think you could probably see some of The Rocks, walk the bridge, grab some lunch and take an opera house tour. If you skipped the bridge, you'd probably be able to take one of the 1:15 harbour boat highlights tours.

The 2nd connection, at under 5 hours, might be a bit of a rush. By the time you got into the city, you'd have 90 minutes (at most) before you needed to head back.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:39 PM

Bridge Climb takes about 3 hours, all up! You may be cutting it a bit fine. The suggested trip to the pylon might be a good and considerably cheaper alternative.

You may be able to do it - if you get away from the airport quickly. You're arriving in peak hour, so the train into the city would be quicker and cheaper than a cab - presuming you have booked your luggage through - or left it somewhere.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to check into more flights and see if I can fit it in. Will be back. Thanks all!
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:16 AM

The airport bus was cheaper than the subway system. Go figure. It took about 30 minutes to get downtown. The Bridge Climb is overpriced and you will get more of a thrill on the rides on the Stratisphere. Consider taking the Commuter ferry to Manly Beach or Watson Bay. Relaxing but great photos along the way.