Search

Sydney in March

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sydney in March

Thinking of spending 7-8 days in Sydney at the end of our time in AUS. This would be ~March 10-18. We want to rent an AirBnB for that time. Do we need a/c then? Avg temps look fine, but I know wherever we travel lately averages are just way off. I am mostly concerned about sleeping. Any suggestions for areas to stay in? We prefer being somewhere that is walkable to main sites and like restuarnts near by for evening meals. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<We prefer being somewhere that is walkable to main sites and like restuarnts near by for evening meals.>>

This is far too vague. Physically, Sydney is larger than Houston, which itself is immense. And main sites are not all in one area.

Stay near Circular Quay or eastern Darling Harbour. You can use the ferries and trains and buses to putter about the city. If you're relatively ambulatory, you can walk.

And you should have AC (the Aussies call this aircon) to be safe.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks- I find in many large cities we visit there are areas that meet the needs I mentioned. I realize Sydney is large and it is not possible to stay somewhere that is central to everything, but I am hoping there are some areas or neighborhoods that might be recommended, such as you did. Not sure about your reference to Houston? Is it just the size? I sure hope Sydney in no way resembles Houston.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 11:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'd be looking at the inner west - Newtown, Erskineville, chippendale, Glebe ( close to Sydney Uni & an interesting & eclectic mix)
Balmain.

Inner East - Surry Hills, Potts Point

North Shore - Kirribilli, McMahons Point, Neutral Bay or Crows Nest.

You might also pick up something around The Rocks, Walsh Bay.

All of these have a good range of restaurants & are well services by public transport.

Balmain, Kirribilli & McMahons Point are also serviced by ferries.

Have a look at your map of Sydney & you'll see the locations & distances from the CBD, Circular Quay, etc.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 11:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I can't answer your query about air conditioning. It would depend entirely on the property & its aspect.

I don't have it & rarely even turn on a fan - but I live in a house close to the ocean with a north-easterly aspect & open windows & doors.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 02:27 AM

I like Wolloomooloo (maybe spelled wrong) it's a short walk into the city or Kings Cross in the other direction. There are several restaurants along the restored finger wharf. I wouldn't need aircon in March, but if you're used to a cold climate.....may be worth considering.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bokhara & satoric -- this is very helpful. With AirBnB & other apts first time in a city I always like to hear first hand experiences from people as to what areas to stay. On the air conditioning first look at apts most weren't offering it. they tended to have fans.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Any comments on the location of this apt? Its in Darlinghurst. It's main appeal is it has a king sized bed which we prefer. Slim pickings when you want that. Thanks for your thoughts!
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6644916...s=2&s=iVlzlmUm
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Oops, i found 2 more with k/s bed. What do you think?

1 - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1189402...s=2&s=XlFyz6rM

2 - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/410073?...out=2017-03-18
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 05:30 PM

They all look good to me, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them.
I will however, defer to Bokhara who actually lives in Sydney and knows the city better than this occasional visitor.