Sydney Dining Article NYT

Mar 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Sydney Dining Article NYT

i can't find the thread about dining with the new system. sorry! but for the anglophile diners, an article about new, fancy english restaurants in sydney from today's nytimes.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/15...ef=todayspaper

(hope this works)

kerikeri
Mar 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Sort of a bit of olde worlde at newer prices they no doubt are after and whether it be tourist dollars or locals:
" Arras’s guests are local foodies, not camera-toting tourists. On a recent visit, laughter at the next table — young chefs on a night off — stopped only for bites of a shared tomato terrine (25.50)." at those prices it'll only be petite pices de resistance dare I say.

I'd think the best experience may have been missed by the writer in not taking the time to get a map of area, free from Visitors Information Centre in the Rocks and exploring the history of old wharehouse streets on foot.

As for sheeps cheek, ox tongue, pigs bum and all that hock of poppy cock I'd be more inclined to stick with some good old traditional pub fare, also in great environments where you can meet some real locals, all for about quarter the price.

Head away from the tourism zone of pretense and show to the far reaches of Chinatown, up where George meets Pitt [well away from the ocean] on around the markets, Central Railway Station and further into Newtown and Glebe to find good food places, some with Quiche and which have not been established just for some Chefs to attempt finding their niche.
Mar 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the review link kerikeri.
Why not give us some reviews of your recent dining experiences in Sydney BR?
Why would you comment on a review (by a bonafide food critic)for a restaurant that you have never heard of let alone eaten at?
A struggle to see the relevance.....again.
Mar 15th, 2009, 04:41 PM

My experiences of fine dining over many years of not just Sydney DD have with a few exceptions left me with favouring more wholesome pub fare and mind you pubs these days also offer a huge range of more than just bangers and mash.

Why would I comment?, does it need to be answered and yes I can appreciate the struggle...anytime!
Mar 15th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Really....you should contact the NY Times & tell them you are available!