Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Sydney CBD & Potts Point accommodation (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/sydney-cbd-and-potts-point-accommodation-1021605/)

Bokhara2 Jul 30th, 2014 07:58 PM

Sydney CBD & Potts Point accommodation

Just to move this from the GTG thread ...
Ahotpoet - you might also have a look at Booking.com. $A100 is very low for Sydney CBD and nearby areas that you'd want to stay in.

That said, booking.com has Springfield Lodge at, I think, about $110. It's a property I know reasonably well as several friends stay there and although it's on the border of Kings Cross/Potts Point, it's really quite pleasant.

I'd stay there if I needed a room for the night in the area. I'm a local so generally don't need accommodation in Sydney. Know that area well though as I have family living there & visit often.

The Mercure Potts Point is another option that may be worth looking at if the Airbnb doesn't work out.

farrermog Jul 31st, 2014 02:13 AM

No personal experience, but Glenferrie Lodge at Kirribilli might also be worth checking out. The Governor-General and Prime Minister have digs just down the street (but with their own bathrooms).

sartoric Jul 31st, 2014 03:38 AM

Check out trivago.com. It compares many hotel booking sites. I entered some random dates in October, and found below for $116 per night.

The Mariners Court Hotel is in Wooloomooloo. I've stayed there, it's a pleasant walk through gardens to the CBD, and the finger wharf is nearby - the wharf is a restored nineteenth century marvel, now home to restaurants and cafés. Kings Cross is also a short walk away (albeit uphill lots of stairs).

Google is your friend, have a look at the area via street view to see if it might suit you.

ahotpoet Jul 31st, 2014 06:39 AM

Thanks for starting this thread for me. I will check out these recs. I have 12 nights to book and need to get the most bang for my buck. This trip is an impulse buy. I got a great deal on a repositioning cruise, Pacific crossing SFO-SYD so now I have to fill in the blanks.

What about Redfern or Surrey Hills? Are they too far out, convenient and safe?

I am getting the idea that Sydney is as hilly as San Francisco. Is that right?

dottyp Jul 31st, 2014 02:42 PM

Bokhara2, we used to stay at the Springfield Lodge in the late '80s in a small but comfortable budget room which was fine as we were out all day. When in Sydney in 2012 my DH and I thought we would see if the hotel was still there, and it was, looking as if it had been upgraded. Reading your post I was driven to check out the hotel on the internet. It appears to have been upgraded inside as well, and certainly looks as if it would provide a very comfortable stay. We liked the fact that it was near the station, not noisy at night, and yet in the middle of Kings Cross.

In 2012 we stayed at the Park Regis Hotel (Park Road) not far from Hyde Park. That was certainly a great position, and not too pricey.

Bokhara2 Jul 31st, 2014 05:25 PM

It has been refurbished, Dotty. Have a look at their website.

I had a good look at it last year and was impressed - it was indeed the good value for $ my friends have been telling me for years!

The king sized rooms at the back are the best. If I recall correctly, there is a short flight of stairs to the top floor from the one below.