Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   sydney bridge climb (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/sydney-bridge-climb-465389/)

highness67 Aug 7th, 2004 07:23 AM

sydney bridge climb

some friends, on my trip to australia this september, want to do the sydney bridge climb. i, however, am unsure. i am out of shape, and don't particularly relish the idea of huffing and puffing up the side of a bridge. any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. i am sure it would be a wonderful view and a great experience. i just don't know what to do. help!!!!

Mucky Aug 7th, 2004 01:25 PM

Hi highness67,
Have no fear, if you can walk up a small flight of stairs you can do the bridge climb. It is not really strenuous and the party that consists usually of 12 plus the guide go at a gentle pace. You can take your time, as no one will rush you .
You must not miss this, it is one of the must do's in Sydney.
The view is fabulous and the experience is not to be missed.
The only decision is what time of day to do it.
Safety is paramount and make sure you don't drink before the climb, all climbers are breathalised.
Please do the climb, you will not regret it.

muck

Alan Aug 7th, 2004 11:41 PM

I second Mucky's advice.

One poster to this forum mentioned climbing in the same group as a lady of eighty-something.

Another poster (rather incauriously, I thought) decided to hide her advancing pregnancy (thus flouting the rules about climbing in her condition) and later professed the climb to be such a piece of cake that she was quite scornful of advice to forego it.

I would wager a fair amount that most of the people who do the climb are in no better shape than you are.

Have a great time and a great climb.

crazymina Aug 8th, 2004 10:43 AM

yup, and I went with a lovely gentleman who was in his 70s with a prosthetic leg. As long as you don't have a paralyzing fear of heights, you can do it.

Oaks Aug 8th, 2004 02:28 PM

Definitely do it. It is an easy climb and there are A LOT of stops along the way for the guide to give you history of the city, the bridge, and the climb, as well as many photo opps. These all serve as good places to rest. You will not find it challenging-- the only thing that would deter you is a fear of heights, but even that shouldn't stop anybody-- it is VERY secure.

highness67 Aug 9th, 2004 08:25 AM

thanks everyone for all the encouragement. i am still not quite sure about it though. i guess i'll just wait and see. maybe i am imagining it to be a more strenuous climb than it actually is. i don't do strenuous, so we'll just have to see. any more encouragments will be greatly appreciated.

michi Aug 9th, 2004 08:06 PM

I'm 72, just climbed in April with arthritis in legs/knees and problem hands. Otherwise I am in good shape for my age.

I agree the climb was not nearly as hard as I thought, however, if you are badly out of shape (you huff and puff going to the corner store), if you are really afraid of heights, I would say think twice about it and don't let anyone talk you into it if you don't want to go. There is viewing from one of the towers I believe.

But if you go and it does become too much you will be led down carefully. As mentioned, you don't have to race to the top and if your leader asks if you are apprehensive, tell them yes. The leaders make periodic stops, check out the climbers and are always on the lookout for you.

Have fun in Australia.

MissB99 Aug 9th, 2004 09:25 PM

If you do have a fear of heights or are really unfit, all is not lost, you can still experience the Sydney Harbour Bridge, as there is a footpath across the bridge which you access through one of the pylons. You still get a good view of Sydney, the walk across the bridge is flat, you can do it at your own pace and it is free (or was last time I did it). It is a good option if you have children, as they need to be a certain age (?? 16 plus) to do the Bridge Climb

JennieH Aug 10th, 2004 04:44 AM

I am sure you will enjoy it. I did the tour this time last year and the ascent is very gentle and there are lots of breaks to stop and enjoy the views. I dont think its possible to get up a sweat unless it is one of Sydney's 30 degree days. A friend took her father up there for his 60th birthday and he loved it. Pick a sunset climb. It is marginally more expensive but well worth it.

Dick Aug 10th, 2004 09:22 AM

Do the climb.

My only regret, during our Australia/New Zealand vacation..was not doing the climb.

Walter_Walltotti Aug 10th, 2004 09:45 AM

If I can manage it - virtually anyone can.

Other posters are correct - it is done at a very leasurely pace. The total experience lasts about 3 and half hours, of which you are only climbing up for about 30 minutes with plenty of breaks.

You climb quite a bit vertically from just below road level and then there is a bit of a slog up to about a third of the way up. Whilst in a group you do this bit on your own (but because of the safety systems you remain in the same order throughout - so there is no overtaking)After this relatively tough 10 minutes you have a good break for another 10 minutes to settle down and take in the view before carrying on up. And here is the good point - after this initial climb it actually gets easier (take a look at the bridge and you'll see why!)

Seriously, if you can walk a mile you will have no trouble with the bridge climb.

Worth every penny - but you'll needs lots of them because it's not cheap.

AndrewDavid Aug 10th, 2004 01:22 PM

highness,

We took the 4:25 PM ascent. At approx 1PM that afternoon , I feel off a large iron cannon, tearing a calf muscle and bruising both knees ( did not know the extent of my injuries at the time. We perservered and I did OK ( and I'm a whimp). I recommend. that time slot sun down, but color in the sky and later beautiful night lighting as ideal.

A/D

Ninja Aug 13th, 2004 08:45 AM

Defintely don't miss the bridgeclimb. It was one of the highlights of our trip for my 13yr-old son and I, despite the 66mph winds. Helped distract me as I was so worried about flying away that I nearly forgot just how high off the ground we were. Quite a sense of accomplishment afterwards. We're still bragging about it.