Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Air travel between Australia & New Zealand to be made domestic

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air travel between Australia and Newe Zealand will be simplified with a move to mark flights between the countries as domestic. Trials are to be started soon with the aim of establishing a system similar to that between Canada and the United States, or between countries in the European Union, where entry into one port clears passengers into entering other ports as domerstic visitors. The trials will start with Australian and New Zealand passport holders, but will then extend to all passport holders.

This move will have the effect of lowering air fares between the two countries, by as much as 30%.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0221-8e6r.html
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM

Going to be interesting to see how some immigration issues are going to be handled, "Smartgate or not"

Currently, though Aussies and New Zealanders more or less have reciprocal residency rights and the need for a visa is deleted by there being an auto background administrative application of one, I know Australian immigration authorities do scrutinise Kiwis [via the passports computerised records I imagine] and Kiwis with criminal records can be rejected/sent back across the ditch.

If that scrutiny happens up front in NZ before they board, all the better for them and perhaps if smart they would get advice before buying a ticket.

And then on customs/quarantine, is it to become an honesty system! and there are differences in what processed food is permissible, Honey for instance, very much a No! No! I think for NZ but you can bring processed NZ honey to Australia, but not for WA., and fresh fruit too!

So there's going to be some peculiar issues to be sorted and then hopefully a thorough education approach for travellers.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM

As I understand it, Bushranger, there are existing restrictions on carrying fruit from some Aussie states to others. Is that "enforced" through an honesty system or are there checks made in some way?
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM

What is wrong with this system? I did NOT type "from" twice!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM

anyone have ideas when this might happen? when will i see reduced fares. I'm planning to go from syd to christchurch, and showing 300 AUD right now roundtrip. is this a good fare?? should i wait or book now
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:48 PM

Kevin. As to when it might happen. Best advice -- don't hold your breath. Still very much in the early stages, I suspect.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 01:46 AM

Re fruit going across interstate and in some cases intrastate Rob there are honesty bins at some airports I've noticed and then on road travel there's fruit fly restriction zones that again are operated more on an honesty system thses days too.

two froms?, maybe your computer skower than the fingers!

And yes Kevin, don't hold your breath and $300 return, if American $, that's about normal and if Aussie$, that's bloody good.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Kevin, I would expect these changes to be implemented closer to the end of this year or next- but don't take my word for it. What I am really looking forward to is to spending an Australian long weekend in Christchurch- fly up Friday night after work, and fly back Monday afternoon. If fares do go down this will make this scenario very feasable.