Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   SUNCOAST OR TREK NORTH (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/suncoast-or-trek-north-381697/)

mcrogers Dec 10th, 2003 08:20 PM

SUNCOAST OR TREK NORTH

Does anyone have a preference between these two companies for seeing Cape Tribulation, Daintree, Mossman Gorge, etc. I will be traveling with my husband and 21 year old son.

Janese Dec 10th, 2003 10:08 PM

Hi Mrs M - arn't you talking to me now?
When I was up there ( Cape Trib and PD) a few weeks ago we rented a small car for about $80AU per day ( extras and taxes etc included) and did the trip outselves. I do hope that it has rained since I was there because I have never seen the place so dry - come to think of it I have never seen it dry at all. There didn't seem to be much between the different companies but when we did take an organized trip we took the advice of the owners of the accommodation we were staying at and that was good.
The only thing that I did do that was not good was eat at the Yaucht club and spent the next couple of days in rather a lot of discomfort, so perhaps stay away from there.
The driving was easy because there are not lots of people on the roads anyway and you can then go where and when you please.
Have fun and Merry Xmas

yasim Dec 10th, 2003 11:10 PM

They are much of a muchness. Both travel in large groups to Cape Tribulation. You didn't say where you are staying. If staying in Port Douglas I would definately go with a smaller more personalised company.
If you're leaving from Cairns either one is OK.

mcrogers Dec 11th, 2003 06:16 AM

We are staying in Port Douglas. Can you recommend a smaller, more personal company?

yasim Dec 11th, 2003 12:56 PM

Yes, We went on Tony's Tropical Tours as it was recommended to us by a number of people and also booking agents.We booked direct with them. Have a look at their website www.tropicaltours.com.au
It's a small personalised Tour with maximum 6 passengers on board.
They are very reputable, Port Douglas based Company and go to an exclusive property Heritage listed, and are away from all the crowds.They run with 4WD Landcruisers,white, air conditioned and top of the range.They know their stuff and are all locals from way back.
You won't be dissapointed

pat_woolford Dec 11th, 2003 03:32 PM

Hi Mcrogers - Suncoast no longer operates - and I prefer Trek North anyway, it picks up at PD - guides are extremely well informed and you get a great lunch in a tropical fruit orchard.

pat_woolford Dec 12th, 2003 03:24 AM

To Yasmin - where did you get the idea that Trek North travels with large groups. The max they can take is 14 and they very rarely do. Suncoast had much larger vehicles and I'm surprised you didn't know they've been defunct for months.

mcrogers Dec 12th, 2003 06:10 AM

Thanks all for your input; I also certainly hope that is has rained there this summer. While we usually like our independence, I think for this one, I'd rather sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. I have made our reservations with Trek North, and we are really looking forward to a day with Craig,(we have requested him) and a day with Greg from Daintree air on a trip to Lizard Island. I have gained so much knowledge from many people on this forum and especially from Liz, Pat Woolford, and Alan. I feel as though I know you all. I am not finished with you yet, however. More questions to follow. (what in the world does yasim mean by "much of a muchness", that's a new one to me!)

pat_woolford Dec 12th, 2003 12:53 PM

Hi McRogers - you'll be pleased to hear there has been some rain at Daintree - not the real monsoonal stuff but it's greening up quite nicely. Was speaking to one of the Trek North drivers this morning - they saw 2 cassowaries from the road to Cape Trib. yesterday. Craig is a great guide. Yasmin's "much of a muchness" is an Oz expression which means "not much difference". Have a great trip!

yasim Dec 12th, 2003 02:07 PM

Message to Pat.
Sorry that i didn't know that Suncoast no longet exist, but its been a few months since I was last there. Thank you for clearing up the much of a muchness saying.
But I still class max 6 passengers as a small personalized tour compared to 14 passengers, especially when the guide is trying to explain species of plants in the rainforest walks and you are at the back and at the same time with other companies doing the same in the same area and you can hardly hear whats going on. Trek North is great but my preference is still a smaller personalised Tour company

Port_princess Dec 13th, 2003 07:51 PM

Hi there,
the thing I like about Tonys tropical tours is that they go to a private property in the rainforest, where noone else goes. Its nicer to go to the rainforest and do a 2 hour walk on a private property. At the Maarja boardwalks etc there can be hundreds of people, which for me spoils the experience...but as they say, different strokes for different folks!