stewart island

Mar 31st, 2002, 12:36 AM
wan fei

stewart island

i will be going to new zealand for 3 weeks and wonder if stewart island is worth visiting and whether the southern scenic route should be done since time is short.

thanx.

Mar 31st, 2002, 12:52 PM
Longie

Stewart Island is second to Greymouth and Invergargil for boring. I am sure that there are plenty of other boring places but those 3 take the biscuit.

Mar 31st, 2002, 07:56 PM
wan fei

thanks longie, i thought so. anybody else thinks differntly?

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:52 PM
sonia

totally agrre about invercargill and greymouth but I really liked Stewart island...just go there for 1 or 2 nights though....people are a little 'odd' as they live in a community of only 450 people with only a pub and TV for entertainment. I was backpacking but not sure if there is any decent hotel type accomodation...

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:05 AM
ALF

Well, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want some hot night life and shopping, Stewart Island is not for you. If you like taking walks and treasure solitude, I would recommend it. The coastline is rugged, Halfmoon Bay is picturesque, and the world-famous Rakiura Track/Northwest Circuit will challenge many hikers. They may also have the funkiest 9-hole golf course, which was an experience in itself. You can cheaply hire water taxis to take you to small nearby islands that are nearly uninhabited. Finally, this may be the best place in all of NZ to view Kiwis (the birds, not the people) in the wild. Most Kiwis (the people, not the birds) have only seen them in the nocturnal houses of zoos.