Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Spit Bridge-Manly Walk (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/spit-bridge-manly-walk-475483/)

646wyck Sep 20th, 2004 04:35 PM

Spit Bridge-Manly Walk

Yesterday we found the thread for Alan's posting for the directions for the walk. Now,today,the site can't be found. Help! If you could e-mail us at [email protected] it would be great. Many thanks!

Alan Sep 20th, 2004 06:41 PM

646wyck, here's a cut-and-paste of an earlier post:
"The best way to get to Manly -- and this is one of Sydney's best-kept secrets -- is to WALK. There is a GREAT three-to-four-hour nature walk from the Spit Bridge to Manly Pier, and May is the perfect time of year to walk it. Here's what you do: pick a nice, clear morning and walk to the bus stand behind Wynyard Station -- it's in Carrington Street-- as early as you can.... before 9 a.m. would be great. Choose Bus Stand C and catch bus no 180. Ask the driver to let you off at the Sydney side of the Spit Bridge (the fare is about $2.80).
The bus stop is adjacent to a park, with the Spit Bridge directly ahead of you. You need to cross the road to walk across it.... there is a walkway under the bridge (stairs going down, at the end of the "park")if you think the traffic is a bit too lively to chance crossing the road. When you have crossed the road, walk across the bridge, and you will see, as you approach the far side, the beginning of a trail around the water's edge. This trail is clearly marked and winds its way around several beaches, through water's-edge forest, and past some of Sydney Harbour's most glorious scenery. If you go early enough you might see a beach covered in crabs. Any time of day you will see the yachts dotting the harbour, the famous "squatters' huts", and (just off the track, about half-way through the walk, just as the view starts to get breathtaking) a host of aboriginal rock carvings. What you won't see is many people... I have done this walk and hardly passed a soul, except when the walk opens out for a few minutes and goes past one of the popular beaches. You will arrive at Manly Pier mid-afternoon and you will really appreciate the cold drinks available at the shops around it! Then you take the regular ferry .. NOT the fast one ... and enjoy one of the great ferry rides of Sydney (and it's cheap, too: around $5.00) -- half an hour past the Bridge and the Opera House. This trip will use up virtually the whole day, but you won't feel it's a waste, I promise you."

646wyck, you'll find it very easy to get to the bus stand in Carrington Street, as the street; just walk back along York St from the Australian, away from the bridge, following the bridge approach (which will be across the road on your right). Past the Shangri-La (aren't you glad you didn't stay there?), across Grosvenor Street, and keep going till you get to Wynyard Park (four minutes). Carrington Street is the street running parallel to York on the other side of the park.

Wish I could join you, but, alas, I'll have to wait till December! Pick a clear, sunny day -- the sea breeze will ensure that it won't be too hot, but the sun is bright and sunburn is easy to get, so BRING A HAT and use lots of sunscreen!

johhj_au Sep 20th, 2004 07:07 PM

To simplify arrangements you may like to catch the ferry to Manly,walk across the road at the ferry wharf and catch a cab to Clontarf reserve to start the walk back to Manly.

Cab fare $15.

margo_oz Sep 20th, 2004 07:29 PM

John!!! :o

That's cheating!

johhj_au Sep 20th, 2004 07:34 PM

Hey Margo
I reckon you would almost need a degree in linear optimisation to get the bus arrangement right out of wynyard.

What about we find a victim for our next fodors harbour picnic?
when does daylight saving start?