Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   South Pacific or Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/south-pacific-or-hawaii-13631/)

Beth Mar 25th, 1997 08:43 PM

South Pacific or Hawaii

For our 10th anniversary we are planning a 11/12 day
trip and can't decide where to go. We have never been
west of California,so do not know what to expect. We
go to Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda and like that
type of understated elegance. We like to play tennis
snorkel, sunbathe, spa,and then eat&drink to counter
any benefits we may get from too much excercise.
If anyone has any info please reply, I want to reserve
soon. We are planning this for October or November.
Many Thanks!

David Tidwell Apr 14th, 1997 08:56 PM

This may or may not be your thing, but I took a cruise from Tahiti to the Tuamotos and Marquesas and back. It was approximately 2 1/2 weeks on a freighter that provides supplies to the islands and atolls. The area is very rustic and the people of the islands are very warm and generous. The activies on the freighter are very limited, but you could spend a bit more time in Tahiti. The resorts there are great. The freighter experience is one I would highly recommend, in fact I an doing coastal Norway on a mail freighter in next month.

Heather Jun 20th, 1997 12:44 PM

I would recommend Hawaii I live in Oahu and would'nt really call it the real "Hawaii" However; the other islands are beautiful!
Maui is beautiful for tourist snorkeling which looks like it's never been touched.
The big island has awesome snorkeling but only if you want to drive & track places yourself. The volcano is a must (helicopter ride only) $200 pp
Kauai is the Garden island and is also gorgeous it has waimea canyon which is like the Grand Canyon which is beautiful!
We paid $200pp for a 7day island hop. Rental car are a must $30+ a day. Food ranges from Mcdonald's to $$$. Hotels 50+.
From California is the less expensive way to Hawaii. $200pp You'll have to look in LA papers. It will be the most awesome time.
I would try Hawaii first and then go to the South Pacific which is just as beautiful.

Heather Jun 20th, 1997 12:45 PM

I would recommend Hawaii I live in Oahu and would'nt really call it the real "Hawaii" However; the other islands are beautiful!
Maui is beautiful for tourist snorkeling which looks like it's never been touched.
The big island has awesome snorkeling but only if you want to drive & track places yourself. The volcano is a must (helicopter ride only) $200 pp
Kauai is the Garden island and is also gorgeous it has waimea canyon which is like the Grand Canyon which is beautiful!
We paid $200pp for a 7day island hop. Rental car are a must $30+ a day. Food ranges from Mcdonald's to $$$. Hotels 50+.
From California is the less expensive way to Hawaii. $200pp You'll have to look in LA papers. It will be the most awesome time.
I would try Hawaii first and then go to the South Pacific which is just as beautiful.

Heather Jun 20th, 1997 12:46 PM

Anne Jun 21st, 1997 07:22 PM

BETH: How about Moorea in French Polynesia. We just celebrated our tenth anniversary there and are now saving for a return trip. It's out of this world! Check it out on the internet under Moorea or Tahiti. Good Luck.

Ed Moylan Jun 22nd, 1997 10:47 AM

Hawaii is fabulous. Get out of Oahu quickly unless you speak Japanese. Go to the big Island. Plenty of things to do(golf,Volcanoes Nat Park). Condos are the way to go. Surf the web for owner advertised condos. KONACONDOS.com rents OCEANFRONT condos for 799/wk(2bedroom). There are probably others. If you choose Maui, try for The Mahana(part of the Astoin chain). it has a fabulous view overlooking Molokai and Lanai. But, it is much mor touristry and expensive. Email me if you want more info. Good luck

Louis Dameson Aug 18th, 1997 04:26 PM

You are in luck!! On the big Island of Hawaii they built a place just for you and all the people that love Little Dix. It is called the Kona Village Resort. With all meals and everything, I think it will be a little less expensive than Little Dix.
This is a lovely place with individual places and no locks or TV. Check them out at www.konavillage.com.
Also look at the specials. I would opt for the grand honeymoon package. Look no further this is simple, easy to get there and a winner. It is a 4 diamond AAA resort. Little Dix was a Rock Resort when we last visited. If you like it now, too bad you didn't see it then.