South Island New Zealand - Travel with kids

Old Jul 25th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Island New Zealand - Travel with kids

Hello All!

We are planning to take a trip to the South Island in Dec/Jan 2014. We are a family of 4. 2 kids 11 and 14. We will have about 2 weeks. I keep reading that it is really busy that time of year. How busy does that mean? Will it detract from the trip?

We would like to either rent a car or perhaps a camper van. Does renting the camper van make things more complicated?
If we rent a car do I have to book into all the hotels in advance or can we play it as we go?

We are looking for a trip where we spend 2 or more days in each place rather than spending too much time in the car. I know that we won't be able to see the whole island.

We are interested in animal life, beautiful land/sea scapes (my daughter loves photography) and some great adventures -kayaking, biking etc. We would be into seeing some more off the beaten track sites as well.

Any itinerary that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!

We are open to anything!
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Sandra,

we too are planning a trip to NZ, mostly in the SI in December, and so far the advice we have had is that that time of year, particularly if it falls within the Xmas hold, which it sounds like your trip does, booking ahead is a very good idea.

I've had a load of brilliant advice from people here and there have been a few recent threads dealing with most if not all of your questions.

if you search the forum for NZ trip reports, that might be a good place to start.

you could start here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...c/new-zealand/
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Summer school holidays run from about a week before Christmas to the first week in February. The busiest period will be from Boxing Day (26th Dec) to the 12th January. A lot of businesses close down during this period and go away for their summer break.

You will definitely have to book accommodation in advance, and if you do decide to go the camper van route, now would be a good time to book it!!

Even though New Zealander's consider this a busy time of year, it is not uncomfortably crowded anywhere. The best weather is in February but it should be nice when you are planning to come.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

okay. I will do some more reading and then come up with an itinerary:

Can you suggest what some "must sees" are in terms on wildlife/scenic beauty/ mountain passes?

If you had to stick to the north or south, which would you choose?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:11 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
<If you had to stick to the north or south, which would you choose?>

South, hands down!

Must sees on the SI for a first time visitor with limited time:

Arthur's Pass, West Coast (glaciers), Mt Cook, Wanaka, Queenstown, Milford Sound

Additional must sees for those with more time:

Marlborough Sounds, Nelson/Abel Tasman, Kaikoura, Punakaiki, Akaroa

Wildlife: Seals (Ohau Point near Kaikoura, Farewell Spit), whale watching trips from Kaikoura, bottlenose dolphins (north of SI and fiordland), penguins (Akaroa, Moeraki, Catlins, Dunedin), glow worms, kea (alpine parrot - West Coast, Arthur's Pass, Milford Sound), weka (flightless bird, widespread), kiwi (rarely seen other than in wildlife parks although there is a night time kiwi tour out of Okarito near Franz Josef), albatross (Dunedin, Farewell Spit), Hooker sea lions (Catlins coast), various birds (Okarito, Stewart Island, Ulva Island)
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 02:27 AM

I'll post my trip report for our July NZ trip in about a week when we have decent Internet here in Aussie. We had a 14 yr old girl along, so it's probably of interest to you.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM

BTW, my trip report is at http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...days-si-ni.cfm

It's about half done. More to come shortly.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ross - thanks for the tips and the link to your blog.

I've added it to the tons of info we've got, all of which makes it MORE difficult to decide what to do in our 17 nights, not easier.