Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Sounds of Silence Dinner (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/sounds-of-silence-dinner-588909/)

KATZY Feb 7th, 2006 06:19 AM

Sounds of Silence Dinner

Should we book in advance for the sounds of silence dinner? There is just 2 of us and we will be there mid february. If so is there a site I can go to to reserve our spot. If not where do we go once we are there to make reservations.

Thanks!

BillJ Feb 7th, 2006 03:56 PM

Hi, Katzy. My wife and I did the Sounds of Silence Dinner in Sept of 04. I arranged it with the hotel when I made the hotel reservations, though I got the idea I could have signed up for it the day we got there. To be safe, I'd pre-book. We stayed at Sails in the Desert. Where are you staying? Any of the hotels at Uluru should be able to set you up.
It is a very interesting dinner. The night sky is indescribably bright with stars. After dinner you will get a little astronomy with telescopes etc.
The dinner itself is buffet style with all of what you would expect in the outback. Roo, emu, lamb, etc. It was very good.
You need to know however, that after sundown, the only lights are the candles on your tables. You might want to bring a little pen light or something like that.
But, those candles - - well, since they are the only lights for miles around, they do attract a variety of insects, the size and numbers of which are difficult to describe. Makes for an interesting dining experience. Let me say that I would recommend long pants, tops with long sleeves and a button up collar. Ladies with shoulders exposed became somewhat animated at times, much to the delight of other patrons.
We had a blast at our table. A couple from Brisbane and their daughter who works at one of the hotels were delightful companions.
You will be picked up by bus at your hotel and driven out into the bush. You will get a taste of native music and culture, then to the dinner. At one point every one is asked to be completely silent, and it is really a sound of silence.
You will enjoy. Well worth it.

margo_oz Feb 7th, 2006 05:17 PM

I booked on the day we arrived. Didn't seem to be a problem.

February is off-season.

KATZY Feb 8th, 2006 05:27 AM

Thanks BillJ. We are looking forward to the dinner. Thanks for the tip on long pants and sleeves! The reason we are thinking about waiting to make reservations is to see what the weather is like. Thanks again for your input and details.
KATZY

mishoe01 Feb 13th, 2006 08:23 AM

Hi Katzy,

I would go ahead and pre-reserve the Sounds of Silence dinner. There was a place at the hotel (I stayed at the Outback Pioneer) where I could have booked the SoS dinner there, but I personally wanted to guarantee that we got the dinner for the night we wanted. I was there the end of March/beginning of April 2004.

This was definately one of the highlights of my trip.