Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > Solo women travellers of a "certain age" ! Sydney & Melbourne
Notices

Solo women travellers of a "certain age" ! Sydney & Melbourne

Mar 22nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Solo women travellers of a "certain age" ! Sydney & Melbourne

In Australia there is a well known organisation called the Country Women's Association. Decades ago they bought buildings right in the heart of Sydney at Pott's Point and one in the eastern suburb of Toorak, Melbourne.

They are called Residential Clubs and designed to be a home away from home for women who live in the country, usually on farms. They offer reasonable, non-flashy, secure B&B accommodation to everyone, and are very close to trams, buses and trains.

For solo women travellers to Sydney it is especially good value at AUD$72 night in a part of the building which those of us who are regular visitors call the nunnery. This includes breakfast - dinner is optional.

It wasn't designed to be a motel to world travellers or young backpackers, but a place where country people feel safe in big cities. So, if you need a 24 hr concierge and an ice machine down the hall, it's not for you. The vibe is definitely old world and most of the visitors staying there are genuine, friendly, polite, country Aussies. Hope this helps someone on a budget looking for a reasonable B&B in the heart of Sydney.
Here's the link to the Sydney one. https://cwaofnsw.org.au/club.html
Mar 22nd, 2014, 04:05 PM

Thanks ThulaMama,

That's a great tip & a good option for budget travelling women.

I've stayed at the Potts Point one & it was perfectly adequate - had a friend in Vinnies & needed cheap digs within walking distance at short notice.

Smiled at your "women of a certain age" comment - I'd have been about 25 or 26 then. I was a CWA member & they got me in immediately. It was Easter & I couldn't find anywhere else as close.

You don't need to be a Member to stay, though.

Search this Thread