Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Solo Saturday in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/solo-saturday-in-sydney-1669493/)

denisea Jul 16th, 2019 09:39 AM

Solo Saturday in Sydney

I leave for Sydney tonight for a business trip. I will have Saturday to be a tourist in Sydney. I will be on my own and am thinking the walk from the harbor to the botanical gardens would be a good way to spend time catching the amazing scenery. Any other ideas?

Any spots for dining Friday night and Saturday for lunch and dinner that you would suggest--I am happy to eat at the bar when dining alone but that's sometimes harder on weekend nights.

I wish I had more free time on the trip but that's life. Any suggestions are welcome.

tomarkot Jul 16th, 2019 04:54 PM

Hi Denisea, you may not receive this in time for your trip. But, then again, you may have a connection on your long flight. So I'll give it a try.

With one day in Sydney, the harbor is interesting, with all the ferries coming and going. Sydney is so interestingly laid out surrounding; a ferry tour around is fun. Manly Beach is beautiful, reachable by ferry. The Opera House is unique; fun to tour; better to attend a performance, if time.

The Rocks, which is an area near the Harbor, has an array of restaurants.

These are a few highlights to enjoy with just a day.

Have fun! A beautiful city!

denisea Jul 16th, 2019 05:36 PM

Thanks tomarkot....hanging out at LAX waiting to board the flight. These are great suggestions. It will be a bit chilly but I want to be outside as mush as I can. I appreciate it--great to hear from you.

northie Jul 17th, 2019 07:07 PM

Catching the ferry to Manly and then lunching at the Ferry terminal - if it's a sunny day !
You can walk along the Corcoran to the beach turn right and then do a lovely walk to Shelley Beach - not too taxing .
I love the Paddington market which is mainly hand made arts crafts and little eating places - open only Saturday .
Sydney cove Oyster bar near the Opera House is a favourite . Also catch a prosecco or 2 at a bar near the Opera house .
Momofuku Seibo is one of the top restaurants .

lavandula Jul 17th, 2019 10:39 PM

I think northie might mean 'Corso' (auto-correct???). You have some good tips from tomarkot and northie. If you like clothes shopping then Paddington itself is a good destination (not just the bazaar but also the shops which line Oxford St). If you don't want to travel so far then the Pitt St Mall has a lot of shopping possibilities. Eating - if you are not leaving the city centre then the Rocks is filled with lots of nice restaurants. Unless you don't see beaches much then Bondi is not a must if you have limited time as it's quite a distance from the city. Manly (both beaches) is a good substitute, easy to get to from Circular Quay. You won't be able to fit in all those tips in one day, just pick a couple (eg. explore city / Rocks in the morning, lunch at Micky's in Paddington and doing the shops in Oxford St in the afternoon, then back to the Opera Bar for sunset and a drink in a spectacular location).

Lavandula

denisea Jul 18th, 2019 02:46 AM

Thanks you! I am gonna check out Paddington for sure.

i went to The Rocks for an early dinner and to walk to fight jet lag. Trying to stay up until at least 10pm on night one!

KayF Jul 18th, 2019 03:09 PM

Another thought if you want to be outside as much as possible is get the bus to Bondi Beach and do the paved walk along the sea to Coogee. We did it a couple of years ago and it was a highlight of the trip. We got off the bus at Bondi as soon as we could see the beach and the walk started right opposite, there are a few cafes near the bus stop if you want coffee first. Lots of others doing the walk so it can get crowded. Some stairs here and there. Each beach you walk to is a bit different and they all had public toilets and water fountains. We got fish and chips at Coogee and caught the bus back again. Whatever you do, hope you have a great day.

https://www.bonditocoogeewalk.com/

Kay

northie Jul 21st, 2019 04:28 AM

Oops thanks lavandula - I did write corso !!

denisea Jul 25th, 2019 04:44 PM

Many thanks for the suggestions. I had a wonderful day and was not only fortunate to be in Sydney, I got fantastic weather! After some local advice and the suggestions here, here’s what I did!

I finally made it to Milson Station (after no train service from Chatswood), but anyway...

i walked across the Bridge (climbing it would have been too much time out of the day). I headed back down through The Rocks and browsed for opals on my way to catch a ferry to Manly.

At Manly, i walked through town to the beach. So pretty and the water is gorgeous! Lots of people out and I walked up to Shelly Beach and back.

i decided to skip lunch but considered one of the outdoor spots on the wharf before heading back to Circular Quay.

i went back to The Rocks and bought some opal earrings-my birthstone. From there I walked to the Opera House and the shop there for a few goodies to take home. From there, i got a water side table at Sydney Cove Oyster House.

Beautiful weather and beautiful view! Sparkling Chenin Blanc from Australia with calamari and prawns—delicious!

A bit more shopping and then some wandering in the botanical gardens.

i logged over 38,000 steps before heading back to pack for a quick biz trip over to Auckland.

i got the chance to dine In Barangaroo three times while there—great area with lots of choices! The Turkish spot called Anason was my favorite. My last night a group from work had dinner at Sydney Custom House—again a wonderful view and excellent food.

I didn’t even scratch the surface but enjoyed it all!

tripplanner001 Jul 25th, 2019 06:16 PM

So glad you had such a good day in Sydney. Sounds you have reasons to go back - the best souvenir in my mind.

Bokhara2 Jul 26th, 2019 12:27 AM

That’s great that you had such a nice day.
Thanks so much for coming back to tell us about it.

tomarkot Jul 26th, 2019 11:56 AM

Denise, so glad you had beautiful weather to enjoy that beautiful city! You did cover a lot in that short amount of time. Thanks for you mini-report!

northie Jul 29th, 2019 09:45 PM

Yes glad our suggestions helped . You certainly made good use of the time

denisea Jul 31st, 2019 02:02 PM

I want to also mention the hotel I stayed in after returning from New Zealand. The West hotel is a Curio by Hilton hotel located on Sussex near Erskine It's so close to King St Wharf and the Barangaroo wharf on one side and Wynyard train station on the other.

The staff is so friendly and very helpful. The hotel is new--modern and warm at the same time. It was clean and quiet. Breakfast was terrific--there is a buffet but you can order hot items so they are freshly made. Mine was included with my room rate. I really like being able to order hot food off the menu and not eating soggy food that has been sitting.

The bar is lovely but I was only there two nights and had plans with a group the last night, so I didn't have time to visit the hotel bar (and I did receive two free drinks from the hotel). I did make good use of the restaurants along King St Wharf and the Barangaroo area---I had tapas one night at Born by Tapavino.

This is a terrific hotel and I loved the area as someone who didn't know my way around. The choice of restaurants and other shops etc...nearby was very appealing.