Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Sir Stamford Double Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/sir-stamford-double-bay-438020/)

amaryllis Jun 2nd, 2004 02:27 AM

Sir Stamford Double Bay

Hello
Have booked in Adelaide, thanks to your help. now would like to know if anyone knows, or has stayed at the Sir Stamford Double Bay-thought it sounded a nice alternative to staying in the CBD of Sydney.
Any comments?
Thanks in anticipation!
Amaryllis

Alan Jun 2nd, 2004 05:17 AM

Hi, amaryllis!

This is just to get the ball rolling, as I haven't had any personal experience with the Sir Stamfors... however, I can tell you all about Double Bay. The stretch of shops in the area is just about the most expensive and exclusive shopping area in Sydney, and probably in Australia. Strolling past the sidewalk cafes can be an interesting experience, as you can often spot TV personalities or media magnates doing business over a foccacia. I guess it's a bit like the Lido of Rome: la dolce vita, for people who have "made" it.

It is, therefore, certainly an "alternative" to the CBD, and the only thing mitigating against it is that you will need to hop a bus or a taxi (I think you can get a water taxi, if you feel like a splurge) to get to anywhere interesting. The nearest subway stop (Edgecliff) isn't too far, but this is quite a hilly area, and I don't think you'd relish the walk. To get to the city, you have to go through King's Cross, which is probably worth a couple of hours of your time to stroll around: only a couple of kilometres from Double Bay, it couldn't be more different.

Well, now it's over to someone who actually knows about the Sir Stamford!

prue Jun 2nd, 2004 02:29 PM

I have stayed at the Sir Stamford (not to be confused with the more expensive Stamford Plaza one block away!) and it is a very nice hotel.
It sits above groundlevel and over some shops and restaurants. Ask for an inside room if street noise worries you.The rooms are a good size and the service is excellent.
The rate normally includes breakfast and there is a nice pool as well.
The nicest way to commute to the CBD would be by Ferry which is a 5 minute walk away, or Bus, again 5 minutes or if you are energetic Train which is 15 minutes uphill! Alternatively there is a Taxi Rank outside the Hotel.
Double Bay, as Alan says,is a very affluent suburban shopping centre, but is also very attractive - lots of interesting shops and lovely leafy streets, and I am sure you would enjoy it as an alternative to the city.

pat_woolford Jun 2nd, 2004 02:48 PM

Hi amaryllis - Double Bay is also known by Sydney-siders as "Double Pay". Nice area, though.

amaryllis Jun 3rd, 2004 01:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your help-the reason I want a "special" hotel, is because I am taking my granddaughter from New Zealand. We are staying in an apartment in CBD and want an alternative for a bit of spoiling! Hope the Sir Stamford fits the bill!
Amaryllis

Peteralan Jun 3rd, 2004 02:05 PM

Hi amaryllis...The Sir Stamford is a lovely hotel in a nice position . Double Bay is not to far from the city and easilly reached by public transport as others have mentioned.If the walk up the hill to Edgecliff Station is too steep , you can catch a bus to Edgecliff station or simply stay on the bus right to the city. If you can afford a rom on the north side of the hotel , you will have a lovely view of the harbour. Have a great trip!

prue Jun 3rd, 2004 02:27 PM

Amaryllis,
If you really want spoiling then I would also check out the Stamford Plaza at Double Bay.
It is a block closer to the water than the Sir Stamford and because it is considerably higher the views are wonderful.
I consider the rooms and service there are second to none - however obviously it is more expensive than the other.
If you are willing to chance it both hotels appear regularly on www.wotif.com.au with good bargains to be had but only within 14 days of booking and payment up front.