Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Should we visit Darwin (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/should-we-visit-darwin-569685/)

AndiK Nov 8th, 2005 03:35 PM

Should we visit Darwin

My family (2 parents, adolescent sons) will be visiting Australia next year and we were wondering whether it is worth stopping in Darwin for a few days on our way home. We will be living in Melbourne for a few months, and we will visit Sydney, the Reef, Uluru and environs, and Tazmania. We are trying to decide our plans for coming home. Our choice is to go from Melbourne to Hawaii back to Boston (our home) or from Melbourne to Darwin to London (or to London without Darwin, which is much cheaper).

robbieb Nov 8th, 2005 05:37 PM

Absolutely, I live in Perth but spend a lot of my time in Darwin (I am actually there writing this). Lots to do (Kakudu, Barramundi Fishing), good restaurants and small town feel about the place. Best time to visit is in the "Dry" June/July/Aug. Currently very humid and about to go into the "wet".

Bokhara Nov 8th, 2005 11:20 PM

Yes - it's so worth the extra $$'s!

Totally different to any other Australian city and has something for all age groups.

Looks like you've a super trip planned - Enjoy !

AndiK Nov 9th, 2005 02:36 AM

Thanks for your responses.

If we visit, it will be in early May. Will the Wet be over? Is that a good time to go?

What specifically do you recommend doing with 11 and 13 sons in a 3 to 4 day visit?

longhorn55 Nov 9th, 2005 05:55 AM

Our family (2 adults and 2 teenagers) also loves Darwin and have been there twice, the last visit being in August. These are the things we like to do: feed the fish at Aquascene, tour the Darwin Gaol, see the huge croc "Sweetheart" and experience a cyclone at the NT Museum, go to the Mindil Night Market, spend a day at Litchfield National Park--particularly swimming at Wangi Falls, and spend a day at Territory Wildlife Park and Berry Springs Park. We haven't ever been there in May, so I don't know what kind of weather you can expect. Hope you have a great time.

Geckolips Nov 11th, 2005 06:40 AM

We are trying to decide whether to visit Darwin in the next 4 months, or wait until family moves to Perth after April. Robbie, what is your recommendation as to which one to choose for a 2 week stay. We are not hikers, snorklers nor campers. Just walker abouters. I realize we will be "off season" in both places, THE WET at that time in Darwin, and then Winter by the time we would get to Perth. Thanks for your advise.

JamesA Nov 12th, 2005 10:38 PM

Darwin has it's own charm, it's not that big, so it's still a place you can walk around, for a few days we liked it.
Of interest is that Tiger Airways ( Budget Airline ) is just about to start cheap flights between Singapore and darwin, flight is about 4 hours, but it gives great opportunities.

Geckolips Nov 15th, 2005 05:05 AM

Thank you James.
I understand there is a very interesting museum in Darwin and it is not far from jumping crocks and Caves near Katherine.

Geckolips Nov 15th, 2005 05:09 AM

Read LynAK's post about Visiting the TOP END - It has lots of good info about Darwin.

Geckolips Nov 15th, 2005 05:37 AM

James, If I take a flight from TPA on Delta to LAX, then Singapore Airlines to Singapore, and then Tiger Airways to DRW and book each flight individually, then I have to go out and get the luggage at baggage claim and recheck it at each check in, correct? If so, I don't think the money save is worth the trouble! Do you?

robbieb Nov 15th, 2005 07:24 PM

Hi Geckolips, I would wait until April as the "wet" is in wind-down mode and there will still be some spectacular water-falls to see. Previous suggestions are good including the NT Museum which is also a good place for lunch. If you like Thai food, do not miss Hanuman's - the Oysters and Pandang Chicken are superb