Short stay in Sydney - hotel by the airport

Feb 10th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Short stay in Sydney - hotel by the airport

still finalizing my plan for the domestic part. Looks like we will stay in Sydney for one night and then go to Cairns to meet my son. I dont want to go too far from the airport b/c I have a flight next day early morning.

Any suggestions for a safe affordable (US$100-150) hotel in Sydney.

We will be back to Sydney at the end of the trip again for 2 days. Then I would like to stay near Univ of Sydney b/c my son would g back to college then. Any suggestion on hotel in that area?

In terms of activities, how do I organize? Should I take the Sydney city tour the first day and then go on Blue Mountain tour when I come back? What else can I cover in the last two days.
Please help.
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:56 AM

Just put Sydney airport hotels into the web and you will find several that come up and you can also try wotif.com.au for specials.A City tour would be Ok but you can have a great day walking around the Rocks area ,Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, Opera House and the Botanical Gardens. A ferry ride to Manly is beautiful seeing the Harbour or going up Centre Point tower gives a magnificent view of the city.
Feb 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Hi sumplanner - for Sydney airport hotel info, check this previous thread http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...diate-area.cfm
- which hopefully will be helpful.
Feb 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Sumplanner, unless you're flying in late at night & out at 6 the next morning, I'd encourage you to stay somewhere other than the airport. None of the hotels in the immediate vicinity is within walking distance of restaurants or located in an area with attractive vistas, walks or interesting landmarks. The airport area is just that, and as unattractive & souless as most other airport locations.

The city's 20 mins (max) in a taxi and you would be able to take a walk, have a choice of restaurants etc.

More interesting & attractive areas would include Bondi,Potts Point/Kings Cross, Surry Hills & Brighton le Sands (there's a Novotel opposite the bay) http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-1656...ch/index.shtml
Feb 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM

If you do decide to stay closer to the airport I would recommend the Novotel at Brighton le Sands mentioned by Bokhara. The others at the airport are pretty ordinary.
Feb 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM

I second the Novotel if you really feel the need to stay close - at least there are a few shops and eateries in the surrounding streets. But the city centre is really very close compared with most major cities around the world.