Shopping in Melbourne

Aug 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Shopping in Melbourne

We are going to Melbourne for 3 days shopping...we would like to include the outlet shops on Bridge st(road) and Queen Vic Market...does anyone have any other recommendations? We are staying at the Atlantis Hotel on Spencer St - anyone have any comments or experience about this? I think it's relatively new so now a lot of published info.
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:42 PM

The factory outlets in Bridge Street are great and only about 10 minutes from the CBD by tram. You could also try Chapel Street, Prahran, for the latest looks, and Chadstone Shopping Centre which is one of the biggest in Australia and has a great range of everything from very expensive to budget.
The Australia Arcade in Collins Street has good shops, plus a good food court in the basement. Also Myer and David Jones (two big department stores) in Bourke Street are good. In spring, David Jones have fantastic displays of flowers, worth visiting for that alone.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:53 PM

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for?
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:17 AM

DFO is an very large outlet centre which has lots of different Australian retailers. The address is Corner Grange Road & Centre Dandenong Road, Cheltenham 3192
Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks heaps everyone! We will probably stick to the CBD and seeing as its a girls' trip we're looking for...you guessed it - clothes and shoes! Oh but I also want to have a look in Ikea? Heaps of people rave about it...is there one in the CBD?
Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:17 PM

The nearest Ikea store to the CBD is at the Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre in Victoria Parade, Richmond, about a 10-15 min tram ride from the city.

The number 109 tram travels along Collins Street within the CBD and goes right past the door - get off at stop number 25 in Victoria Parade.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:22 PM

I should have added that I think there is a smaller Freedom store within Victoria Gardens Centre as well. It is the same idea as Ikea but better than Ikea with the knick knacky type stuff.
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks for your help guys!
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Meg,
I bought a sensational leather coat at Vic Markets a year or so ago.

Aug 26th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Chadstone Shopping Centre is fantastic for clothes and shoes so if you have time.... I read recently they have a pick up service from hotels in the city, pick up in the morning and take you back late afternoon. Or if there are a few of you, you could catch a taxi.
David Jones department store in the city (also at Chadstone) has a great food hall in the basement of the men's store in Bourke St.
I don't know your hotel but there is a lot of construction going on at Spencer St train station so the area could be noisy, dusty etc. The station (on the underground loop) is still open, just very messy.
Kay
Sep 4th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

We've heard a bit about Chadstone and will definitely investigate further on arrival in Melbourne. Am so looking forward to checking out the market and outlet shop bargains! No one seems to know of the Atlantis...will have to post a review on our return!
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Back from Melbourne, had a wonderful time, but I'm sad to say I won't be hurrying back there. I think I must have lived a rather sheltered life in NZ...Melbourne was rough, to say the least. People were generally angry and road-raged, the trams were so confusing (does anyone else feel a little vulnerable standing in the middle of the road waiting for one?), and with the Commonwealth Games on there next year the whole place is under construction - or should that be destruction?! Which of course is fair enough, and I'm sure it will be looking beautiful with all the abstract art displays in place, this time next year. The shopping was great...once we got to where we were going, being stopped numerous times to be asked for money. The Atlantis Hotel was nice enough, we had a two-bedroom suite which was great, except there was no 'lounge' area. But it was clean, quiet and tidy and would be a fantastic location if you were going to Melbourne for an event held in the Telstra Dome which is virtually across the road. The Vic Market was huge, a lot of the same stuff, but still good. We had a great time, but was a little disappointed...hope I haven't offended any Melbournians'...perhaps we just caught it on a bad day?