Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Seeking side trip from Singapore in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/seeking-side-trip-from-singapore-in-november-16465/)

R. Mathies Aug 16th, 1997 05:36 AM

Seeking side trip from Singapore in November

Planning a trip to Singapore in mid November. Planning a week in Singapore but we need to find another place to go for the 2nd week. We like outdoor activities like hiking & snorkling. We don't like touristy stuff. Any ideas?

Yip Yew Chong Aug 16th, 1997 08:17 AM

I think mid November is quite a bad season for hiking or snorkeling in any place which you only have 1 week to spare from Singapore. Rainstorms, swollen rivers, landslides, natureparks closure & choppy seas are the reasons. But you can still find it interesting hiking in the rain in Peninsula Malaysia. Head for the Cameron Highlands where you can enjoy both primary jungle treks or open terrain tea plantation treks. You can easily spend 3 days here (1 day in the jungle, 1 day hiking thru a tea valley, and 1 day just sightseeing/ relaxing (there are vegetable farms and plenty of roses & strawberries). Or you can head for Terenganu, where there are beautiful islands with pristine waters and nice reefs (Pulau Redang and Kapas are good). Near Kuala Terenganu, you can also head for Kenya Lake where there are jungle treking possibilities. You can also fish or boat / canoe here. 1 week is just nice for both the island and lake trip consecutively, but be warned that this part of Malaysia is especially monsoon prone and it can be quite choppy and moody. The good thing is that it is almost deserted in November (no tourist).

R.Mathies Aug 19th, 1997 02:49 PM

Thanks for the information, looks like a tough time for outdoor activities. I've done some reading and it looks like we should stick to the western side of Malaysia. Any comments on Langkawi?, Thailand looks like it could be ok in Nov. I guess eastern Malaysia is out of the question. Endau Rompin too wet?

YC Yip Aug 21st, 1997 08:03 AM

Endau is a lowland rainforest national park, so by late Nov, it is wet (I'm not too sure if it is closed too). I haven't been to Langkawi, but my impression is it is idyllic though the waters should not be as good as the east coast. Ive been to Phuket (Thailand)further north of Langkawi and it is very touristy and the waters is not really good when choppy. Perhaps you can consider Northern Thailand. Ive been trekking & rafting in Mae Hon Son area where it is best in Nov. The flowers bloom against an azure blue sky, but it can be very cold at night. It is very quiet compared to the touristy ChiangMai, Chiang Rai areas. I loved the Burmese atmosphere there (near Myanmar). One week is just nice - fly to ChiangMai directly from Singapore and a spectacular but very winding 7 hour jeep or bus journey will bring you to Mae Hon Son. Or you can book a return flight to Yangon while in Singapore, the city which should be an adventure itself.

Randy Aug 21st, 1997 08:39 AM

Singapore is a good & conveient starting point explore around the Asean region. there are many tour agents offering side trips to neighboring countries.
But usually, I off to malaysia on my motorbike.

Checkout this places which might fit your 1 week
schedules..
1. Taman Negara (Trek, Fish, canopy walk above on trees)
You can find the highest peak in West Malaysia
here, Gunung Tahan. there are tree-top canopy walk, nite walk thru the jungle, river rafting
2. Kenyir Lake (Fish, trek, watersports, golf coming up), unfortunately, hard to find
tour agent offering this trip.
they have regular treasure hunt on jet ski
in this artifical lake which is actually
orginally a hilly area & flooded by building
dams around it. this lake is the largest artifical lake in Malaysia.
There are boathouse for rent for you to go leisurely around the lake.
3. Pangkor Island (Hike,Watersport, beach, dive)
Never been there, but nice island from the
brouches
4. Tioman Island (Fish, Trek, Watersport, dive)
nice island, very popular tourist spot
5. Camaron Highlands (golf, trek or just relax)
Plan trip on Aug97 but cancelled due to work.
great place to relax, unwind
6. Langkawi (Trek, fish, watersport,dive)
another nice island but quite far north & rather expensive, at that price, you could have gone a bit furhtur north like phuket in Thailand

In Thailand, you shuld check out these,
1. Phuket
2. Koh Somui
offering fine beaches, watersport, dive & nitelife