Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Seeing Marine Life (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/seeing-marine-life-280080/)

mary Dec 17th, 2002 09:28 AM

Seeing Marine Life

We have been diving for 6 years now. We have gone to Cozumel, Key Largo and Zihuatanejo. We have always been disappointed with limited visibility, bleached reefs, absence of marine life, ... So during our 3 week trip to Australia I was looking for the &quot;ooh, ah&quot; that would just make the trip all worthwhile. I finally found it when Haile from the dive shop in Cairns on the bay recommended a private trip to Lizard Island. She booked us with Daintree Aviation. It was awesome. We got an aerial view of the coast on the way to Lizard Island (50 minutes) and a reef flight on the way back that was just unbelievable. I got some fantastic pictures of the reef during the flight. We flew in a Piper Navajo 12 seater. But that was not all, the best part of the day was when we landed on a private runway at Lizard Island and visited a private beach. On the way to the beach we saw 3 foot termite mounds and Flying Fox Bats. I recorded their sounds on my Canon S30 and got some great footage. Greg, the pilot, swam with us for 4.5 hours straight and pointed out more marine life during that time than all that we have seen combined in 6 years. It was a really magical day and I didn't want to get out of the water or leave the island. We saw an octopus changing colors, parrot fish, and a stingray in addition to all kinds of fish (angelfish, trigger fish, clown fish, ...). I even pet the clownfish as they swam around in the anenome. It was awesome and I recommend a day with Daintree over a day diving with Seaquest. Our Seaquest dive trip was terrible. The young staff on the boat was arrogant and non-customer service oriented. And I didn't enjoy the lunch that they served on the boat. When the woman unwrapped the bread plates I saw a huge roach crawl out off the dish and then I saw an asian woman stick her finger into the bowls to grab the little baby corns out of the salad, she proceeded to lick her fingers and grab another as I stood there in shock. Yuck!!! Poor manners!!! Not my style at all. Anyway Daintree is the way to see the reef. Well worth the money and the service is much more professional.<BR><BR>

bruce Dec 17th, 2002 07:20 PM

Mary, I spoke to greg the other day. he told me he really enjoyed your company on the trip. We are going in may. I have been in contact with greg on a regular basis. He really is a great guy. Email me at [email protected] so we can talk more in detail about the trip. I have a lot of quetions. thanks Bruce

Julie Dec 19th, 2002 07:51 AM

Bruce &amp; Mary,<BR><BR>My husband and I recently returned from Lizard via Greg's Daintree Air experience as well and had a most incredible time (for all the reasons Mary listed and more). We are certified divers and our trips out to the reef did not compare to the diversity and visibility we experienced at Lizard. What we wouldn't give to be back there right now chit chatting with Greg on that beautiful pristine beach. If any of you have any more questions or jsut want to reminisce, you can e-mail me @ [email protected]! Hope you all have a great holiday!

sheryl Jan 20th, 2003 03:11 AM

After watching the rave reviews about this tour we thought we better try it as we are regular divers and snorkellers in North Queensland.<BR>This is the very best tour we have ever done. We live in the west of NSW and visit the reef a couple of times a year. We have been out on most boats. We do not have any complaints about the boats. However this tour was <BR>was just unreal. I will be writting a full report on it when I arrive home at the end of the week.<BR>Even as Australians we did not realise reef and marine life of this quality was availible. The Pilot/Guide took us to a reef on which we could see more marine life in 15 mins than we have ever seen before. The low level flying up over the reef and then back down over the rainforest was amazing. We thought the price a little steep however half way through the day would have gladly payed more, once we realised just what you do and see. The tour is by far too cheap. It is impossible to explain just how much you do and see in a day. Any one wanting the very best of the best can very safely book this. Any one wanting to email me with questions is welcome to do so. We will be home on Thursday Jan 23. Sheryl

Eric Jan 20th, 2003 07:19 PM

Yes i did this tour with Daintree Air Services a couple of years ago. I thought then it was the best thing I had ever done. We still talk about it.<BR>Ill be interested in reading your report. Eric.<BR>

mrsmayers Sep 1st, 2004 04:32 AM

Hi guys, I stumbled upon this thread from 02 , my question is, are they still running ? Daintree Air.

We sent an email yesterday with no reply.

Thanks in advance Joyce.

pat_woolford Sep 1st, 2004 05:25 AM

As of 2 days ago they certainly were - give Greg a bit of time - I think he's up at the Cape right now.