any suggestions?

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any suggestions?

We are finalizing our trip and would love any input from anyone. We are going from Sept 22 to Oct 19. It will be my husband, myself and mom. (she's 72, said she's not getting any younger and wants to go to Australia)! This is what we have.
Sept 24 - 29 Sydney
Sept 30 take train to canberra, stay 2 nights
Oct 2 Fly to Melbourne, stay 2 nights
Oct 4 -7 Wayward Bus on Great Ocean Highway
Overnight in Adelaide
Oct 8 - 11 Kangaroo Island
Oct 12 fly to Ayres Rock stay 2 nights
Oct 14 Fly to Cairns stay 5 nights.
We are looking at 2 bdrm apts. in most places. Any suggestions?
Have gotten lots of great ideas for side trips and tours from this site. Thank to all!!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:02 PM

G'day nylib,
that looks pretty good to me.
I have taken people to KI and although most were happy with 2 - 3 full days there, some wanted to stay longer.
It can be a little cool and windy at that time. Should you find that you don't need all the time there that you allowed, then maybe a daytrip from Adeleide to the Barossa Valley and back through the Adelaide Hills would be an option.
There is also Warrawong Sanctuary which is interesting, http://www.warrawong.com/

An alternative to Appartments are cabins in Caravan and Camping Parks. They are usually of a high standart with full cocking facilities.

Enjoy your time in OZ,
Mike
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:27 PM

Don't know if you are considering B &B's as part of your accomodations, but they are very reasonable up in Queensland and much cheaper than "American style" hotels. If you are going swimming off the main continent, remember to stay in "safe" beaches that have the nets to keep box jellyfish out. You won't have any trouble with them out on the reef. We would highly recommend a trip out to the reef - expensive but well worth it, especially if you like to snorkel.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:31 AM

Congrats on including the Wayward Bus - it's a great trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

OZMIKE THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I THINK WE WILL CHANGE OUR PLANS AND SPEND AN EXTRA DAY IN ADELAIDE. CHECKED OUT THE WEBSITE FOR WARRAWONG SANC. AND IT LOOKS GREAT. ALSO MAY WANT TO DO A WINE TOUR.

ALICE 13 THANKS FOR THE CONFIRMATION ON THE WAYWARD BUS. ARE THERE MAINLY VERY YOUNG PEOPLE ON THE TOUR. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE IN OUR LATE 40'S EARLY 50'S AND MOM IS 70. ARE WE GOING TO FEEL OUT OF PLACE?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:32 PM

Nylib, is this your first trip to Australia? You are going to enjoy yourselves soooo much. The Australian people are so nice, really ! If you are heading up to the Reef, by all means, take "Daintree Air" out to Lizard Island for a day. Short 40 minute flight on a very nice, larger plane to a wonderful secluded beach (we had the hole place to ourselves the day we were there) and one on one snorkeling with a guide/pilot named Greg that is very knowledgable and a kick in the pants kind of Aussie bloke! Worth every penny, which wasn't much, and very memorable. The highlight of our trip, for sure. Check out Gregs web site at Daintreeair.com
Have the trip of your life, ....we did.
We also loved the Rydges Reef Resort in Port Douglas. Jayneen is one of the nicest people and gave us a wonderful villa in back with the views and sounds of the rainforest from our balcony!! VERY COOL, I must say. Be glad your mom is going along. Mine was supposed to but, .... cancelled three weeks before we were to leave. Very sad! Have a wonderful trip. Already planning our next visit!!!!! Deb
Deb
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 05:26 AM

If you need any help with your Kangaroo Island trip we live there and would be happy to help.
Michael
[email protected]
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

YES THIS IS OUR FIRST TIME TO AUSTRALIA AND WE ARE VERY EXCITED. WE DEFINETLY PLAN ON DOING THE LIZARD ISLAND TRIP WITH DAINTREE AIR. WE HAVE READ SO MANY GREAT THINGS ABOUT IT ON THIS SITE WE JUST HAVE TO EXPERIENCE IT OURSELF. SHOULD WE BOOK IT BEFORE WE GO OR WAIT AND CHECK THE WEATHER AND BOOK IT WHEN WE GET THERE? MOM DOESN'T WANT TO SNORKEL AND WILL PROBABLY NOT GO WITH US. SHE WANTS TO DO A GLASS BOTTOM TYPE BOAT. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
MICHAEL, THANKS FOR THE OFFER OF HELP ON KANGAROO ISLAND. IT SOUNDS LIKE A BEAUTIFUL PLACE. I'VE HAD A COUPLE OF TRAVEL AGENTS TELL US WE WILL BE BORED WITH 3 DAYS ON THE ISLAND. I DON'T SEE HOW THAT COULD BE POSSIBLE WITH ALL I HAVE READ ABOUT THE FANTASTIC WILDLIFE. WE ARE STAYING AT THE SEAVIEW APARTMENTS IN KINGSCOTE AND PLAN ON WATCHING THE PENGUINS EVERYNIGHT, TAKING 4WD TOURS, CHECKING OUT THE SEALS, EVERY INCH OF THE ISLAND SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS SOMETHING EXCITING TO SEE. WE WERE LOOKING AT KANGAROO ISLAND AS A RESTING POINT TOWARDS THE MIDDLE OF OUR TRIP, BUT THE MORE I READ THE LESS TIME I THINK WE ARE GOING THE REST.
AS THE TIME GETS CLOSER WE ARE GETTING MORE AND MORE EXCITED. AND THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS GIVEN INPUT. I'M NOT A BIG COMPUTER PERSON BUT FINDING THIS SITE HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:31 PM

Trust me you will not get bored on KI
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 06:16 PM

I've used this Australian site, lots of apartments 2-bedroom places and guest house/budget hotels and cheap hotels, they do all places

http://www.freewebs.com/sydney_cheap...s/adelaide.htm