Search

Franz Josef or Fox

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Franz Josef or Fox

We will be driving to Queenstown from Christchurch. Is it possible to fly to one of these glaciers from Queenstown, land, and return to Queenstown as a day trip? Or, will we need to drive?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:49 AM
ALF

When you write 'land', do you mean land on one of the glaciers? If so, you would need a helicopter to do that, and helicopter flights are expensive. To get a helicopter to fly from Queenstown to land on an alpine glacier will cost you at least NZ $380 per person. For that kind of money, I would find it worth it to drive down to the glaciers. From there it is a short hop to land on one of them. I did that last year and it cost me NZ $170.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:18 AM

It's not feasible to do either. The only flight onto the glacier is, as ALF says, to heli-fly, and from ZQN that's an arm and a leg - but it's possible. In ZQN anything is possible if you have the cash. You could charter a plane to take you to Franz or Fox airport and then heli-hike up or take one of the regular tours that go up each day. But it's not a day's drive - ZQN/FOX is 6 hours at the wheel, minimum. If you really want to do the glaciers, drive CHC/FFJ (Fox Franz Josef) one day, go see one of them the next morning and drive on to Queenstown. Better still, take an extra day and do it properly.

You are making the classic mistake of tourists to this country - they think it's just an itty-bitty little place and they can clean it up and tick it off in a few days. I have clients who, after three months, say they are coming back next year to do the things they had to miss out.

Tell your boss you'll be a few days late and do it better.

Kia Ora.

David Morris

For really good information of what to see in NZ look at

http://visitnz.co.nz
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:26 PM

We took a fixed wing ski plane to land on the glacier - I think I would prefer that to a helicopter.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't think it was a regular activity offered, but just wanted to check. We are going to drive Christchurch to the glaciers to Queenstown, and take our time doing it.

In response to David, I agree that we do not want to do too much. We were in NZ a couple of years ago, and did only the top half of the North Island in just under two weeks. We like to allow plenty of time to see and do.

What we don't see this time, we will next!