RV's around Brisbane

Jan 20th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

RV's around Brisbane

My family and myself are thinking of hiring a RV around the Brisbane area in July for 10days. Is this a good idea, are there plenty of sites etc in good locations? Also what sort of prices could I expect to pay for a 6 birth RV?
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:33 PM

I think what you are looking for in Oz-speak is a motorhome or campervan. I think the place you would park a motorhome or campervan is called a caravan park. (Aussies refer to trailers as caravans.)

No doubt some savvy Fodorites will come along in due course to answer your questions more specifically. In the meantime, here is a representative example of a site that came up when I did a Google search for "recreational vehicle" + "australia"

http://www.autorentals.com.au/Englis...eferer/vehicle

and here's an example of what came up when I searched for "caravan park" + "brisbane"

http://www.galaxycp.com.au/intro.html

Although I didn't stay in one, I recall seeing several caravan parks in Australia. Indeed I often saw them in prime locations near nice beaches.

Although, as I said, I lack experience in this arena, I IMAGINE one would need to book a spot in a caravan park.

In doing a Google search for caravan parks, I stumbled on a website that published Caravan Park Reports, which are reviews by patrons who have stayed in specific caravan parks:

http://www.geocities.com/flourpower.geo/parks.htm
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy. I wonder what the average price of a caravan pitch is and whether you can reserve them if you go off in your' campervan for the day.
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:48 PM

Hi Katiekoko, well if the Galaxy Caravan Park in my previous thread is somewhat representative, a site equipped with water, electricity and sewer services costs $A20.00 per night for 2 people, plus $A4.40 for each additional person.

I don't know, but I would THINK that, once you had paid for your site, you could drive off for a day's sight seeing, and no one else would be allowed to use your site.

But, based on what friends have told us, there is so much preparation to do before one can drive an RV away, that it's a real pain in the neck. If you've attached the water, electricity and sewer hookups, you have to detach them. Furthermore, you can't leave the washed up breakfast dishes drip drying in a rack next to the kitchen sink. Everything has to be strapped down in its proper storage space.

Have you thought of renting a trailer (caravan)? When I was a kid my family used to go on caravan trips. There was a certain amount of work connected with hitching the caravan up to the car and unhitching it again. However, once we'd parked in a spot and unhitched the caravan, we then did have free and easy use of the car for coming and going. And we could leave breakfast dishes dripping dry next to the kitchen sink, and stuff like that.

One sees huge RVs driving through the Canadian Rockies with cars (and in some cases Ford Explorers!) hitched to the back of them, presumably because of the RV's relative lack of mobility once it has been hooked up to the campsite services. But even without a car in tow, one of those big North American motorhomes gets something like 8 miles to the gallon. With the price of gasoline (petrol) in Australia, that would be a killer!

By the way, I thought of something else. Australians are more inclined to use the word "hire" than "rent," so a Google search might be more productive if it was for CARAVAN + HIRE than if it was for CARAVAN + RENT.

Just some thoughts.
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:24 PM

We have stayed several times in Brisbane at Dress Circle Holiday Village (telephone 07 3341 6133), fax 07 3341 0274). Staff have always been friendly and facilities clean. It has a swimming pool and (I think) either a kiosk or cafe. I think you would probably pay about $24 per night (for two adults) at the present time.
This park is about eight miles from the CBD, short walking distance to bus stop to city, large shopping centre 10 minutes drive away and is a short distance to the freeway entrances to go south to the Gold Coast or over the Gateway Bridge to the Sunshine Coast. We found it a very convenient location.
Unless you are used to towing a large trailer or caravan, I would definitely recommend hiring a motorhome rather than a caravan. To tow a caravan successfully and safely, you need a tow vehicle properly set up and it would be difficult to find a rental car with the right equipment.
For rental motorhomes, try these websites - www.britz.com (Britz)
www.nqrentals.com.au (NQ Australia Rentals)
www.hertzcampervans.com (Hertz)
www.maui-rentals.com (Maui)
Hope this helps.
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi Judy and Marg. So much information and now I'm confused as what to do for the best. My family and I (2 adults and 2 children both aged 14) have 10days, as part of our Australian holiday, in the Brisbane area.

We were hoping to travel to places on both the gold and Sunshine coast and hiring a camper van seemed like a good idea. Not so sure now. Any suggestions?
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:34 PM

I think I would go for the RV option. This will guarantee you beds to sleep in and the option of preparing your own meals which could save dollars. There are some good caravan parks around. There is one in particular on the Gold Coast that we always stay at - clean, excellent facilities, directly on the river beach and two minutes walk to the surf beach. Ten minutes walk to the local shopping centre and across the road from the surf club for cheap meals. The local bus stops at the gate and you can arrange pick-up if you want to visit the theme parks in the area.
If you use local transport, you don't always have to pack up and go, although the packing up part wouldn't take much time. Let me know if you want recommendations for caravan parks/camping grounds on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast - we spent six weeks there last year.
You could stay in motels in all three locations but you would be packing up and moving every few days anyway.
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Marg, that is really helpful advice. I would really appreciate the recommendations for the caravan parks. Thank you! Any ideas as to whom we should rent our RV with and what insurances etc we need?
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM

Hi katiekoko,
here are some caravan park recommendations.
Gold Coast - we always stay at Tallebudgera Creek Tourist Park - as I said in my previous message, excellent facilities, swimming pool and easy access to river and surf beach. Telephone 07 5581 7700. This park is run by Gold Coast Tourist Parks - they have six other parks (all good)on the Gold Coast and their website is www.gctp.com.au, email [email protected]
On the Sunshine Coast, our favourite park is Bougainvillia Caravan Park at Tewantin, again excellent facilities including swimming pool and restaurant. However this park is about ten minutes from a beach and you may prefer one directly on the beach. In that case, try Cotton Tree Caravan Park (telephone 07 5443 1253) or Pincushion Caravan Park (telephone 07 5443 7917) at Maroochydore. They are both run by the local council, facilities are OK, no swimming pools but right on beach and about ten minutes stroll to the shopping centre, cinemas and restaurants. Small group of shops at park entrances.
Be warned - in July, all the retirees (including us) flock to Queensland to get away from the cold weather down south and the parks are very busy. Ring ahead to make sure you have a site. If I can get any other information for you, you can email me direct on [email protected]
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Marg, all this info is appreciated! Sorry to have not replied before but I have had difficulty loading this site.

It's good to know that the temperatures will be farily warm.

Many thanks

Katie
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:39 AM

Hi Katie,

Have you thought about just hiring a car and staying in the onsite caravans or cabins that are available at almost every caravan park in Australia. They are not that much dearer than paying for a caravan site for the night and you would save in the cost per day for the vehicle you rented.

This is just a thought as doing it this way you don't have to worry about parking a big campervan around town and a medium size car such as a toyota camry or mitsubishi magna would certainly suffice for 2 adults and 2 children.

Cheers

Paul_S