Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Routeburn & Milford track with SLR? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/routeburn-and-milford-track-with-slr-627586/)

JSCChan Jun 30th, 2006 08:31 AM

Routeburn & Milford track with SLR?

Hi

I will be doing the Routeburn track in Dec and then after a days rest the Milford Track. I am going independently so will have a full backpack with all my food and equipment. However I also want to take my Nikon D70, which I currently carry in a fairly large case (has room for battery, lens, filters,etc. I like the protection the case gives the camera so don't want to put it into my backpack.

Has anyone experience of this and did they find it tiring/feasible/inconvenient/useful? I want to get some good photos on the track but I realise it may be arduous to have it for 7 days with a full backpack.

Thanks
John

shandy Jun 30th, 2006 06:27 PM

I can't give you any help about your camera but just wanted to make sure you realized that bookings for the Milford Track opened this morning for the coming season. We booked first thing this morning for mid December. I don't know how quickly it books out but last year we left it too late to get a spot when we started thinking about it in September.

ALF Jun 30th, 2006 10:31 PM

I took a fairly heavy 35mm SLR w/ a big zoom lens on the Milford Track, and it worked out OK. The way I saw it was that I didn't have to carry a tent, which weighs less than my camera.

I kept the camera in my pack and took it off periodically to take shots. It would have to be a very comfortable case to be wearable over several days of backpacking. Also, take into account that Fiordland is a wet place, even in the summertime, so you need to make sure that your camera is well-protected from rain.

JSCChan Jul 1st, 2006 09:02 AM

Thanks Shandy, yes I also booked my treks yesterday so am all set now.

ALF what did you carry your camera and lens in to keep it protected and waterproof?

ALF Jul 1st, 2006 10:40 PM

I have a 'sport bag' which has a roll-up waterproof seal. I only put the camera in the bag one day because of rain. On the drier days, I just kept the camera in a leather with a strap that I could throw over by shoulder, or around my waist.

ALF Jul 1st, 2006 10:40 PM

I've also just used a heavy-duty 2-gallon Ziploc bag!

lancefan Jul 2nd, 2006 04:07 PM

you will definitely need something that is totally waterproof. (something like the sea to summit bags that have a roll down top are quite good) We did milford track in March 04. on the 3rd day (up and over mackinnon pass) it rained rained rained. I have never seen so much rain. Several of our group ended up crossing a river up to their armpits in water. the track was closed to the other part of our group when we got there and we were helicopered into the next hut. however, i had a friend (that was in the river crossing group) that took both small digi and SLR cameras and both lived to tell the tale. If possible, take a small digi weatherproof camera as well (like an olympus one) - we have some amazing shots from that day thanks to one who had a weatherproof camera. Also, make sure you have a pack liner for inside your pack - they recommend it, and there's a very good reason why!

the scenery is awesome and you will get stacks of great pics.

JSCChan Jul 4th, 2006 02:52 PM

Waterproofing definitely seems to be the top priority! What other protection can I use whilst the camera is in the bag ie. padding? Don't want the lens to get broken or camera to get knocked...

Also a more technical question - how do people take decent pictures of the wide panoramas? I want to capture the beauty of the scenery but only have a 18-70mm lens. Should I invest in a wide angle lens (eg. 10-12mm)?

ALF Jul 4th, 2006 03:43 PM

The 'Safari' waterproof bag that I have has some inflatable channels that provide great protection without added weight. I've seen others use a plastic box with foam inside for protection. Personally, I think that all you need to do is put your camera in a large Ziploc bag, then put the camera in the top of your pack with some clothing around it for protection. When you want a photo, take the pack off, open the top, take out the camera, and shoot. Laborious perhaps, but the camera is well-protected, and you will probably want to rest and take your pack off anyway.

ALF Jul 4th, 2006 03:57 PM

I don't know how tough you are, but on the 2nd day of the Milford, if you can do it (and if the weather is any good), you might want to consider dropping your pack at Mintaro Hut, then continuing on up to Mackinnon Pass to take spectacular photos at sunset. You will then have to walk back down to Mintaro, only to get up in the morning to climb up to the Pass again. Not for the faint of heart (>20km for the day), but something to think about.

Also, many trampers take a pass on the side-spur trail to Sutherland Falls, but that is a mistake (unless it is just pouring down rain). You can drop your pack at the Quintin Hut day shelter, then walk out toward the base of these spectacular falls.

JSCChan Jul 5th, 2006 11:30 PM

Cheers, good advice. So Ziploc bags are definitely watertight are they if it really pours down? Also how long is the walk up to Mackinnon pass from the hut? I do like sunset shots so would consider it if I have time. What time is sunset in early Dec?

Thanks

lancefan Jul 6th, 2006 12:12 AM

I don't know about you but I don't think a zip loc bag would have coped with 4 days with me getting it in and out. I had a small camera and I had it in a small waterproof map case - it velcroed down from the top and worked well.

I can't remember how far up to mackinnon pass, but it's a reasonable hill. if you look at the nz doc site it says
"From Mintaro Hut there is a well-graded, steady, zigzag climb of about two hours to the Mackinnon Memorial. On the way there are excellent views of Lake Mintaro and the Clinton Canyon."

probably depends on how fit you are - I certainly wouldn't have been able to do it twice in 24 hours, but then I wasn't super duper fit when we did milford.

there's a profile map of the track here which might also give you an idea. http://www.doc.govt.nz/pdfs/southlan...profileMAP.pdf

vbca Jul 7th, 2006 08:56 PM

I have a friend who is a brilliant photographer, and spends his life photographing Fiordland. His advice is that an 18-70mm zoom would be fine, although he prefers fixed lenses, and usually goes for a 28mm or 35mm wide angle. 70mm is fine for tele, any more and you need a tripod, which adds to the weight.

You will probably find there are not a lot of brilliant panorama shots. This is not "big sky" country. Mostly you are in a valley, with high mountains each side, and a regular lens, or slight wide angle is adequate. A set of extension tubes, for extreme close up, is a good investment, and not heavy. Many of our flowers are exquisite, but very small, especially the alpine flowers.

As you will be carrying your pack yourself, and will assumedly be carefull, damage to your gear should not be a great concern. The regular ever ready case should be sufficient, unless you envisage dropping your pack down a bluff or something. You have to reach a comromise between safety and convenience. You could wrap your camera in your sleeping bag, and stow it in the middle of your pack. It would be safe, but you would never have it ready when you needed it.

I found the main problem when I was deer stalking was condensation. If you keep your camera in your pack, and it is a wet, cold day, every time you take it out of your pack, the lens will fog up. Condensation will also form on the film, which tends to stuff things up a bit. I used to carry my camera round my neck, and tucked inside my Swannee (woolen bush shirt sort of thing). This kept it reasonably dry, and body warmth stopped the condensation. A large SLR might be a bit uncomfortable, but if you are keen enough then a bit of discomfort is the price you pay.

JSCChan Jul 9th, 2006 02:09 PM

Thanks for the advice, it seems that there is no easy way to carry an SLR whilst trekking. I plan to wrap it well in a waterproof bag and put it at the top of my rucksack for easy access. I''m assuming there are times when thre is nothing of note to photograph but when there is then I will take it out and carry it.

I will only have 1 lens so I am thinking it is better to leave the lens attached at all times to prevent condensation forming inside? Also should I bring a soft cloth to clean away condensation on the outer lens?