Rotorua Hotels? Just Clean & Cheap!

Nov 13th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Rotorua Hotels? Just Clean & Cheap!

I'm planning to hop off my cruise in Tauranga, therefore giving up my paid for last night on the cruise. So what I need is someplace reasonably priced. I have checked the websites and can easily find good deals. I was hoping someone would have a recommendation though.

As of now I am considering the Ibis which they say is one of the newer hotels? I am looking for clean. I will have a rental car so I dont need to be in a prime location. The point of my stay is the Agrodome and possibly a thermal bath.

Thanks
Nov 13th, 2008, 11:57 PM

And smelly - see my reverse suggestion for you.
Nov 14th, 2008, 01:19 AM

No idea about Agrodome and Thermal Baths, but I can tell you that both times I've been to Rotorua I stayed in a hostel. Now hostels change, and several years down the track far more offer twin/double rooms with private facilities.

So if you are serious about cheap (it would be an odd place in NZ that wasn't clean!) I suggest you look at the YHA website. Their offering in R comes in at 80nzd for a room with your own bathroom, or 60nzd without.

You won't get better than that. And so much more fun than an Ibis.

Do a google - "YHA New Zealand" should do it.

Nov 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM

You're ditching your cruise to see the AGRODOME? Unless you have a particular interest in sheep that seems bizarre to say the least.

I've always stayed in a B&B in Rotorua. Virtually all NZ lodgings are clean. You'd really have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something that isn't.
Nov 19th, 2008, 08:22 PM

A little more to it mlgb - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1 but has the sun set on our dawn?
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Don't think that's the right post, Bushranger. However I do remember her other postings about seeking adventure such as Zorbing and the Waitomo experience. So a bit surprised to see this about AGRO-dome. Unless they now have a "zorbing with the sheep" experience.
Nov 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Looks like I had some troubles as Dawn finding Waitomo mlgb, so try this one - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=3 and yep they can do the Zorbing at the Agrodome it'd seem - http://spas.about.com/library/blrzorb.htm - make things a bit interesting too, chucking a sheep in.
Nov 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM

No that first link just gives all of Australia and Pacific. But I gather from the second that you can zorb at Agro. I might actually pay to see a sheep thrown inside one but then they'd probably have to destroy the zorb and possibly the sheep afterwards.
Nov 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Third time lucky mlgb
It seems the URL doesn't change unless you post on a thread, so just bumped it from 43 to 1.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1

And then on review, there's two threads showing with a > in between, the first saying thread is no longer on Fodors and the second the right one.

Hope the luck is there with the post or look near top!!!!!
Nov 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the info. I got the Ibis for $32 USD! I connot complain.

The point of my leaving the cruise a day early is to take the Black Abyss Tour in Waitomo Caves and Zorb & bungee in Rotorua.

PS - I dont really care for sheep. lol
Nov 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM

Have fun. I do like the outdoor thermal baths in Roturua. Many of the hotels also have their own. Bring an old swimsuit if you have one, then toss it out when you're done.
Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:08 PM

Hi. We nearly always stay at the Millenium when we visit Rotorua . Many of the hotels in Rotorua are looking ( IMO ) a bit tired- I think the sulphur fumes probably are quite bad for the exterior of the buildings . The Novotel is quite new and has good views over the lake. We enjoyed a very nice seafood buffet there recently. I would choose between the Novotel and the Millenium.
Jan 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM

Great price for the hotel. FYI, the zorbing is right next to the Agrodome. I'm animal lover and I enjoyed the show at the Agrodome -- but enjoyed playing with the sheep there even more than the show.

I spent a pleasant hour soaking at the Polynesian Spa, but it wasn't a highpoint. I've been to some incredible spas and this one was "nice" -- but not "WOW." It was too cold to stay out of the water unless I went inside (I was there between fall & winter) and too hot to stay in the water for very long. My glasses fogged up from the heat of the water -- and when I took them off, I couldn't see the view

But I loved Rotorua. For me, the highlight was the walk at Waimangu Volcanic Park. The scenery was OMG magnificent, and utterly otherworldly.

On the next trip (May) I'm planning on including a visit to Waitomo, and will probably return to Rotorua -- but I'm going to skip the zorbing

Enjoy!
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Millenium hotel in rotorua best of the bunch but yes when you open the door you can smell the fumes. You get used to it though.