Notices

road trip anyone?:)

Feb 11th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

road trip anyone?:)

Hi,

I would like to go on a road trip with my mum from melbourne to adelaide or maybe sydney but i'm not good with driving. Heard a lot of good stuff about driving along great ocean road. I'll be travelling from 7-28April 2011, so any date in between. I know there are coaches going there but i would like the experience of driving and stopping 'anywhere' to visit and stay. Is there anyone who's interested and happens to travel during that time too and is ok with driving. It'll be cheaper too this way to share the car rent price=)
besides that, how do i go about farm stay if i cant drive in to the farm..
appreciate your reply!

Jacqueline
Singapore
Feb 11th, 2011, 02:37 AM

Melbourne to Adelaide would be the easier and quieter of the drives. The Great Ocean Road has a quite a lot of bends but they are on a very good road. Just take your time and drive carefully. It is very much a tourist road so people are aware that tourists will drive slow. There are lots of Japanesthat use the road. Geta small automatic car and yu should be fine.

The drive onto a farm will gravel usually but well maintained and signed.

You could try something like Ozexperience. It is a hop on hop off bus. It is aimed at the Backpacker market though. But if you can put upwith them it is an option.
http://www.ozexperience.com/

Just remember that the 22-26 are Easter and Public Holidays except the Saturday and some shops may be open on the Sunday, but Good Friday and Easter Monday most things will be closed and ANZAC day holiday most things will be closed all day with some open in the afternoon. Maybe. Our Public Holidays have very strange rules and they avary between states and business types.

ANZAC day is actually the 25th of April and that is when there will be memorial marches. Well worth witnessing one.
Feb 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM

I did that drive 2 years ago. You will be suprised to find that a lot of the road is not along the Ocean. The drive is well worth it, however and you will see a lot of the sea from melbourne to Apollo Bay then the road turns inland and through a forest for a while then back to the sea where the 12 Apostles (I think its now 7 or 8), some interesting grotto's then turns back inland. major traffic to Apollo Bay then little until you hit the 12 Apostles area then again back to normal.
Feb 13th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

hi,

thanks for the advice. i check out the ozexperience, it sound cool but a bit pricey. ie two way will cost abt $1000. and my fren mentioned that fuel prices are ex to travel long distance. i'll do a free & easy for now with my mum - take tour. do share what you like best visiting melbourne. thx!

Search this Thread