Returning to DH's Birthplace of Brisbane

May 28th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Returning to DH's Birthplace of Brisbane

This will be his first trip back since he was four and has very little memory of Australia. The Brisbane portion of our trip is only 3.5 days and 1 of those will be taken up with a daytrip to Tiger Island.

Would like to take a historical walking tour (since we are both history geeks) or a private car hire tour that is history-based. Can anyone tell me a few incredibly unique things we should do in Brisbane? What are the "must do" items for this urban itinerary?
May 28th, 2007, 06:07 PM

If you are interested in art, Queensland Art Gallery has the best collection of Pacific art in Australia. The Asia Pacific Triennial (closing soon for 2007) is always worth making a trip to Brisbane to see. QAG also has an impressive collection of twentieth-century Australian Art.

Brisbane is a very good city to view contemporary Aboriginal art both at QAG and the Fireworks Gallery in Fortitude Valley. The new Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) is also well worth a visit.
May 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Hi there
Brisbane has probably changed so much since DH was there. I would suggest you try the "our brisbane" website for ideas:
http://www.ourbrisbane.com

They have some suggested itiniaries for Brissie.
I would email them directly about heritage walking tours. They should have maps and suggestions available.

Not sure of the "tiger island" you refer to. One of the original animal themed attractions was Lone Pine Sanctuary. Just about everyone has a photo of themselves cuddling a koala there when they were a kid.
There is a tiger island at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast.
Hope that helps!
May 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Hi K,

Perhaps a Rivercat cruise up the Brisbane river would be a good idea. It's a different way to see the city and you can get on and off at various stops. One stop I would recommend you stop at would be South Bank, perhaps plan to have lunch there or take a picnic and sit beside the 'beach' and just watch the goings on. You could easily spend quite a few hours there.

There is a fellow who does a 'ghost tour' of Brisbane www.ghost-tours.com.au - but not sure if that would interest you.

There are a number of walking tours if you google walking tours Brisbane.

Maybe you could think of doing a day trip to say North Stradbroke Island or Moreton Island - most enjoyable.
Jun 1st, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Have a private historical tour scheduled,will do the RiverCat, SouthBank, museum to see the current exhibit on the Aboriginal civil rights struggle and then ScienceCentre.
Jun 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM

I am currently living in Brisbane and am from the States. All the big museums i.e. brisbane museum, museum of queensland, two art galleries, are all located on the river in an area called South Bank. This is a must. The walking tours are quite easy to follow. If you don't want to do a private car, there is a hop on hop off bus that takes you through all the "important points" of Brissy. I think its around A$20-25. The shopping has also improved a bit if you like that. Queen St. Mall has the bigger stores and places to eat, its in the CBD. Roma St. and Fortitude Valley have also popped up as great shopping districts with a more local flare. You also MUST go to the Lone Pine Koala Santuary. Small "zoo" with 130 koalas, kangaroos, etc. You can hold a koala and my personal favorite, feed and play with the kangaroos! If you take the Mirimar boat, it cruises down the Brisbane River for about 90 minutes to the santuary. There is constant commentary about the sites you'll see as well as great atmophere.
Hope this helped some!