Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Retirement Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/retirement-trip-1663426/)

KirkL Feb 7th, 2019 12:08 PM

Retirement Trip

I am planning on spending a month in Australia from November 22 to December 21. I am planning at the moment the following: Sydney 5 nights, Cairns, 5 nights, Brisbane, 3 nights, Gold Coast 5 nights, Hobart 5 nights then take the over night ferry to Melbourne and stay 5 nights. Is this tomorrow places in to short of time? Should I try to see more of Australia? I will be traveling by myself and I am 68.

di2315 Feb 8th, 2019 12:53 AM

How many destinations you cover depends on what style of travel you prefer. If you have a whole lot of "bucket list sites" you just want to tick off then race to the next, then you'll be fine.
If you want to really get to know a city, then you'll be very frustrated!

each time you change cities, you need to allow a lost day for touring. By the time you leave your accommodation, fly to the next place, get to your new accommodation, there's not much of the day left.

Perhaps you you can let us know what you do and don't like seeing, we can give you some more concrete advice.

KayF Feb 8th, 2019 01:09 AM

I agree that it depends a lot on your interests. With the current plan you'll need to fly between most places. There is a train or bus between Brisbane and the Gold Coast and you mention the ferry from Tasmania to Melbourne. I guess you know the ferry doesn't go from Hobart but from Devonport, in the north of the island. Will you be happy to get a hire car when you need to or do you just want to use public transport?

That time of year is the wet season in the north of the country so Cairns will most likely be wet and humid with possible storms or cyclone. Brisbane and the Gold Coast will be hot and humid too but not as bad as further north. To me, 5 nights on the Gold Coast is too much, it's not a real favourite of mine but is very popular. What do you plan to do there? The theme parks are all centred there, if that's your thing. Beaches are beautiful but I find Surfers, Broadbeach etc a concrete jungle. Burleigh is nicer but the train does not go that far south.

Kay

KirkL Feb 8th, 2019 12:14 PM

Thanks, my mother was in Australia during WWII and I have always wanted to go there. I love to walk gardens and I would like to see a rain forest. I have decided the ferry from Devonport isn't a good idea. I haven't decided if I want to hire a car or just do day tours. I also like to walk on the beach. Thanks for your input.

KirkL Feb 8th, 2019 12:48 PM

I am thinking maybe I should leave off the Gold Coast and just divided the days up between, Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane, Hobart and Melbourne. That would be 6 days in each place. I am flying into Sydney and out of Melbourne.

di2315 Feb 9th, 2019 02:28 AM

That sounds like a better plan!
Are you comfortable driving on the left side of the road? That may influence your decision re car hire.
You'll be able to see a wide variety of plants and gardens in each of those cities. Some googling will help you, and please come back with any specific questions.

Diamantina Feb 10th, 2019 03:15 PM

Congratulations on your retirement!

There are temperate rainforests near Melbourne:
https://www.visitmelbourne.com/thing...ts-and-forests
Many of the Great Ocean Road day tours from Melbourne include a rainforest walk though Great Otway National Park.

The Daintree Rainforest, a "wet tropics" rainforest north of Cairns, is extraordinary, but as others have mentioned, Tropical North Queensland can be affected by cyclone season runs from November through April. Not to deter you, it's just something you should be aware of as it seems extreme weather events are becoming more frequent.

natandmiriam Apr 12th, 2019 08:08 PM

I'd skip the Gold Coast and maybe Brisbane.
Not much to see on the overnight ferry from Devonport to Melbourne. It is also cheaper to fly.
Consider flying Cairns to Uluru or Alice Springs and spending that 8 days seeing a taste of the outback - Ayers Rock (Uluru), West Macdonnell Ranges