Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Restaurants in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/restaurants-in-sydney-306448/)

kzands Apr 12th, 2003 05:07 PM

Restaurants in Sydney

I'll be in Sydney 25-April - 3-May with my mom. Can you please suggest some good restaurants? We like all kinds of food and are interested in a combination of moderately priced and finer dining spots. Thanks!<BR>Kim

johhj_au Apr 12th, 2003 06:57 PM

get youself a cab or a 273 bus to crows nest...try a dosai at the Malabar

LoisL Apr 12th, 2003 07:53 PM

One of our favorite spots for dinner while we were in Sydney was at Thirty Something. It's at the top of the Intercontinental Hotel I believe. It has great views of the harbour and opera house. We had dinner there our last night, and it was a wonderful way to end our trip. Our dinner was very good, and our waitress was excellent. <BR><BR>Another meal we enjoyed was at Doyle's on the warf, at Watkin's Bay. Take the ferry there and enjoy the views. It's a beautiful area.

prue Apr 12th, 2003 09:57 PM

Please note that it should read Watsons Bay for Doyles.

margo_oz Apr 13th, 2003 02:42 AM

kzands<BR><BR>I think I answered this question for your Mum!<BR><BR>For a cheap feed, get the bus out to Newtown, a suburb not far outside the city centre and near the university. The diversoty of restaurantz is just amazing, and the people watching is fascinating, as well!<BR><BR>As a splurge, I suggest Edna's Table, in Clarence Street, Australian bush food, beautifully prepared and presented.

Travelnick Apr 13th, 2003 04:42 AM

Catalinas at Rose Bay for more expensive evening in very nice surroundings with great service.<BR>Fish and chips or burger from one of the older cafes run often by Greeks or Italians for great value cheap food -more common now in the suburbs.

LoisL Apr 13th, 2003 07:12 AM

Thanks, Prue, for catching my mistype. Thank you also, belatedly, for your advice regarding my trip before I left. The advice I received on this site made our stay that much more wonderful. On our crazy LONG flight over, I commented to my husband that we're never doing this again. On the way home, I said, &quot;I can't imagine us not going back&quot;. Wonderful country. Wonderful people.

prue Apr 14th, 2003 03:51 PM

Hi Lois,<BR>I am so glad you enjoyed your trip so much - I think the information that is exchanged this Forum is absolutely invaluable.<BR>I pointed out the typo just in case someone was doing a search for Doyles and became confused.

alice13 Apr 20th, 2003 04:46 AM

This last Xmas I had friends visiting from overseas who are &quot;foodies&quot; and I asked around for recommendations. If you like chinese then try &quot;The Golden Century&quot; in Chinatown, Sydney. This was recommended by several people and my visitors raved about it. For more everyday eating - there are a lot of good eating &quot;strips&quot; in the inner suburbs - Newtown, Glebe, Balmain - for East Med and Indian food try Surry Hills.

John71cove Apr 20th, 2003 07:09 PM

kzands:<BR>Darling Harbour has a plethora of international restaurants located in one building. Like a mall. Great food. Greater prices. It's also a nice area to visit. Right on a wharf.<BR>John

beachdog Apr 24th, 2003 01:20 AM

This was an email recommendation from someone else.

he ones to go to are: Tetsuya\'s (Charlie Trotter is a disciple), Marque - just outstanding classic cuisine, Longrain - great Thai food, EST, which is at Establishment hotel and Buon Ricordo for great Italian. If you want to do the starspotting thing and take in a great location, try Icebergs at Bondi Beach. These all have vg wine lists, some outstanding. Reservations essential, sometimes 4-6 weeks in advance for the \&quot;punters\&quot; nights of Friday and Saturday. Try and go earlier in the week when reservations are easier and the experience better.