Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?

Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?

Aug 8th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Original Poster
Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?

I haven't yet put too much thought into it and at least I've already been to NZ myself but I think my 60yr+ mother will be visiting me next time I am in NZ.

She wouldn't be capable of any of the "hikes" (walking something like hooker valley is probably max is my thinking) and is not really an adventure/daredevil type of thing

On my own I'm good to move around quickly and see a lot pretty fast, but not so with her. What would you guys recommend as a good length of time for a relaxing but valuable tour of NZ? I guess length would also indicate whether it's north+south or just one, and that's flexible too.

I'd almost certainly have my own car which we could use to get around, but flying/organized tours/daytrips is a possibility as well.
Aug 8th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Ten days minimum, (for one island) and that's being selective with your choices. Two weeks for one island would be even better, and you'll still miss a lot. Three weeks if you want to visit both islands.

Where have you already been? Where would you like to return?

NZ is full of short and easy walks, don't write them off. Your mom need not be a 'hiker' to take advantage of them.

Search this Thread